    ports on the motherboard? Also, how will the BIOS sort this out? Sorry if
    these questions sound silly at all, but this is my first time with Serial
    ATA drives. Many thanks!

    NightSky 421, Dec 2, 2005

  2. NightSky 421

    Frank Guest

    Since you seem to have 2 optical drives, you should have one drive set out
    as master on IDE-1. Whether you put the other drive as master on IDE-2 or as
    slave on IDE-1 is up to you. You won't notice any difference other than
    having maybe less cables in your pc. As for Sata, it does not matter where
    you connect your hard drive as there is no such thing as Master/Primary or
    Secondary/slave when using SATA, just one device per cable. The important
    thing is to tell the bios from which device to load windows from. The Bios
    is not that smart to sort that out by itself.
    Hope it helps

    Frank, Dec 2, 2005

  3. NightSky 421

    DaveW Guest

    One optical drive should go on each of the Primary and Secondary IDE
    channels for maximum speed. The SATA uses a different controller than the
    IDE channels do, so the BIOS will have no problem sorting this all out.

    --
    DaveW

    ----------------

    DaveW, Dec 3, 2005
  4. NightSky 421

    Rila Guest

    >I have plans to probably buy an Asus A8N-SLI Premium motherboard with a
    >Serial ATA hard drive and a pair of IDE optical drives. I know that the
    >SATA hard drive will hook into the first Serial ATA port on the
    >motherboard, but should the optical drives be plugged into the Primary or
    >Secondary IDE ports on the motherboard? Also, how will the BIOS sort this
    >out? Sorry if these questions sound silly at all, but this is my first
    >time with Serial ATA drives. Many thanks!

    To boot from the serial drive all you have to do is set the bios to "OnChip
    SATA Boot ROM Enabled". If you are using the onboard VIA SATA controller
    that is all there is to it. If you want to use the onboard Promise SATA
    controller you need to enable that in the bios and tell it if you want to
    use RAID or not. Disable the Promise controller if you are not using it.
    Optical drives should be placed one on the primary and one on the secondary
    IDE controller for maximum performance. They should both be set to Master
    in this configuration

    Rila, Dec 3, 2005
  5. NightSky 421

    NightSky 421 Guest

    I appreciate the feedback everyone, thanks again!

    NightSky 421, Dec 4, 2005