    stick with XP and don't change the performance of any other component? I
    avoided the Pentium P60 mistake so don't want to get this one wrong.

    Steve

    Steve W, Mar 10, 2007

  2. Steve W

    Dave Guest

    "Steve W" <steve> wrote in message news:...
    > I'm still using the PC I built in 1996, it's had a new case three changes
    > of PSU and motherboard, it's on it's second keyboard and third
    > mouse...well you get the idea.
    >
    > It's a 2.6GHZ Pentium 4 processor these days but I can't get my head
    > around the core duo technology.
    >
    > So simple question, if I want simple to improve my CPU raw processor
    > power by 30% for gaming, which core duo processor will give me that
    > assuming I stick with XP and don't change the performance of any other
    > component? I avoided the Pentium P60 mistake so don't want to get this
    > one wrong.
    >
    > Steve

    Simple question, and a simple answer. I looked at the charts on
    tomshardware. The closest processor they have (on the charts I saw) was a
    LITTLE faster than your current processor. Still, using that one (a 2.8GHz
    P4 something or other) for comparison, a core 2 duo E6400 or a core 2 duo
    E6600 will give you somewhere between ~50% and (more than 100%) increase in
    raw CPU processor power, according to various CPU benchmarks I read. ONE of
    those CPU benchmarks was 3DMARK06, which is a gamer's benchmark. Three
    other benchmarks were actual GAMES of some type. All the benchmarks agree.
    The processor you are looking for is E6400 or E6600.

    So there you have it.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115004
    Core 2 Duo E6400 or
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115003
    Core 2 Duo E6600

    Both MORE than meet your 30% increase in CPU power for games, and that's
    compared to a slightly faster processor than you are currently using! -Dave

    Dave, Mar 10, 2007

  3. Steve W

    philo Guest

    "Steve W" <steve> wrote in message news:...
    > I'm still using the PC I built in 1996, it's had a new case three changes
    > of PSU and motherboard, it's on it's second keyboard and third

    mouse...well
    > you get the idea.
    >
    > It's a 2.6GHZ Pentium 4 processor these days but I can't get my head

    around
    > the core duo technology.
    >
    > So simple question, if I want simple to improve my CPU raw processor

    power
    > by 30% for gaming, which core duo processor will give me that assuming I
    > stick with XP and don't change the performance of any other component? I
    > avoided the Pentium P60 mistake so don't want to get this one wrong.
    >
    > Steve

    Have a look at the Asus P5N-E (Newegg has them)

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131142

    It will supports both dual and quad core CPU's

    so you can get the dual core now...
    and if the prices come down to something affordable...
    the quad core later

    philo, Mar 10, 2007
  4. I agonized for months over upgrade from P4 , AGP , IDE , DDR (1 not 2).
    To core 2 duo & I'm just about to start up the resulting 'new' machine.
    I feel certain (now) that Core2Duo is 'a good settled thing' now for a few
    years..
    equivalent to the situation around 3 1/2 years back looking then at P4's .
    Core two 'D' type is the equivalent to Pentium 60 (Hot man Hot).
    AMD is no doubt wonderfull but the range is so large & confusing AND high
    priced at the moment ...Intel will continue to rule if only just, for at
    least a few more years.

    Perhaps your focusing to much on the Processor . For games its a lot about
    the Graphic Card & to some extent 2 gigs of mem.. In my new machine (if it
    starts !) that Graphics card is the most expensive single item.

    One thing I and you will find is that it is almost impossible to
    use older machine parts for an upgrade type route .. you will HAVE to have
    PCI-E graphics not AGP , DDR2 not DDR1 mem. SATA not IDE drives
    (you can get cheap converters tho.)
    I've not ever known a time in my 18 Home PC years when upgrade meant
    'buy everything new'...Even if your current PSU / Case is up to new needs
    it will make no sense to unhouse its existing bits...keep it as 2nd
    That 2nd backup machine is as essential IMHO to stay-sane (just) when things
    go wrong .
    @@@
    That lovely old joke (Trigger ?) "I've had the same one for years ..just a
    new bit
    of that..& 2 new parts of this ...& 3 or 4 of those ..And of cause you
    have to replace that other bit....look after it & it will for ever"
    Sigh ! if only ...won't work this upgrade time .
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") If only Bunnies ruled.

    Trimble Bracegirdle, Mar 10, 2007
  5. Steve W

    FKS Guest

    "Steve W" <steve> wrote in message news:...
    > I'm still using the PC I built in 1996, it's had a new case three changes
    > of PSU and motherboard, it's on it's second keyboard and third
    > mouse...well you get the idea.
    >
    > It's a 2.6GHZ Pentium 4 processor these days but I can't get my head
    > around the core duo technology.
    >
    > So simple question, if I want simple to improve my CPU raw processor
    > power by 30% for gaming, which core duo processor will give me that
    > assuming I stick with XP and don't change the performance of any other
    > component? I avoided the Pentium P60 mistake so don't want to get this
    > one wrong.

    Even the slowest core 2 duo CPU will blow away your P4.

    FKS, Mar 12, 2007
  6. Steve W

    Steve W Guest

    "FKS" <> wrote in message news:ZV5Jh.1433$...

    > "Steve W" <steve> wrote in message news:...
    >> I'm still using the PC I built in 1996, it's had a new case three
    >> changes of PSU and motherboard, it's on it's second keyboard and third
    >> mouse...well you get the idea.
    >>
    >> It's a 2.6GHZ Pentium 4 processor these days but I can't get my head
    >> around the core duo technology.
    >>
    >> So simple question, if I want simple to improve my CPU raw processor
    >> power by 30% for gaming, which core duo processor will give me that
    >> assuming I stick with XP and don't change the performance of any other
    >> component? I avoided the Pentium P60 mistake so don't want to get this
    >> one wrong.
    >>

    > Even the slowest core 2 duo CPU will blow away your P4.

    Thanks guys - really useful stuff here.

    Regards

    Steve

    Steve W, Mar 12, 2007