Copying boot partition for a second boot partition

derng

I have a Windows 2000 boot partition on a logical drive in an extended
partition. I have a copy of it after updating SP4, etc. and there are no
program installations referencing other drive letters. If I copy that entire
partition to a second logical drive and add a line for this new partition to
boot.ini I believe that the different drive letter will still need to be
accounted for in order to boot from the new partition (with the new drive
letter). Is there a preferred way to make this work? Is editing the
MountedDevices in the registry on the new partition the best way to do this?
The procedure is described here http://www.nic.fi/~point/win2copy.htm.
Instead of actually having the new partition boot from the new drive letter
it seems like this method would change which physical partition is
associated with the drive letter. In other words "H" would not be the same
thing when booted to either of these partitions. Is there another way to
edit the registry so that it would boot to the copied partition and refer to
it by the same letter "I" that partition is referred to in the first case?

Bjorn Landemoo

derng

Start regedit and perform a search for "i:\winnt" and "i:\program files".
You would need to change all occurrences (there are thousands) to the
correct value for your copied installation.

It would probably be easier to just perform a new clean install.

Best regards

Bjorn

I'm Dan

derng said:
[...]

Smart people don't try to use boot.ini for this. You haven't said what your
goal is or how (what tools) you made the copy, but you're probably making
this more difficult than it needs to be. If you had installed 2000 as a
normal standalone C:, you could be using a third-party boot manager like
BootIt NG to clone the partition and manage multibooting. Drive letters
would be a non-issue, as both installations can go through life believing
they're the same drive letter. You can't do that with boot.ini.
Third-party boot managers are the ideal way to dualboot, especially if your
purpose is to have an easy-dump/easy-restore alternate OS installation to
test new software before committing it to your trusted OS.

I'm Dan

derng said:
Norton Utilities had a registry editor that had a find/replace function but
that does not work in Windows 2000. It seems like Microsoft could have done
something other than hard code the drive letter all through the registry.
Perhaps it would have been too much to put a variable of some sort naming
the boot drive letter since the registry is made up of string values
everywhere. Even in that case a utility could have been built into the
registry editor to change the drive letter. As you say reinstalling may just
be the way to go.

Frankly, after copying the clean install to a second partition and editing
the registry remotely to change the drive letter it worked fine (and I used
Explorer to copy the partition - I don't know if that lost any security
settings on folders/files, but it booted). Having the same drive letter
pointing to different physical partitions in various boots is not that
confusing especially since I'm not changing my 'data' partition letter just
the various O/S installations. I really like having an extra installation to
use for testing, etc. With Windows 2000 and XP installable to any partition
it is a breeze. Win98 on primary partition C and everything else on logical
partitions in the extended partition (even on a second physical drive).

manager if all one is using is Win98/Win2K/WinXP. It could not be any
easier. I think it is smarter to not introduce a third party tool that
starts hiding or unhiding primary partitions or changing the active
partition every time you boot. If you are not using Linux or O/S2 perhaps a
boot manager is more of a crutch than anything. I am using Partition Magic
however to split partitions and find that to be very convenient.

Dan, check out the link I referenced. I think it is excellent to know how to
change the drive letters in MountedDevices in the registry. Microsoft has a
knowledge base article showing editing the drive letters without even
deleting the keys as is done in the example here but that may be for a
slightly different scenario using regedit instead of regedt32.

Yes, I'm quite familiar with the [MountedDevices] registry key, and I
provide information about it on my website (www.goodells.net/multiboot). As
for whether it's smarter to not introduce a third-party tool, it's the
Microsoft method that introduces the greater complexity. The Microsoft
method is easy to setup initially, but can cause far more headaches down the
road. Third-party boot managers keep OS's independent from each other and
do true dualbooting, not the mixed-up, pseudo-method Microsoft uses, which
causes OS's to be intertwined together and not fully independent.

For repeatedly restoring a separate installation for testing purposes, there
is simply *nothing* easier than using a third-party boot manager and
something to clone with. I use XOSL and DriveImage, but BootIt NG is also
ideal and handles both functions. Once the boot manager is setup, you can
quickly clone part1 to part2 in minutes, and boot straight into part2
without any fiddling. Install new software to test it out, and if anything
goes wrong, you can quickly reclone part1 to part2 in minutes, and boot
straight into part2 without any fiddling.

derng

I guess my concern about third party boot managers may be unfounded but
perhaps you can shed some light. The first concern is what would happen to
the partitions if for some reason the third party boot manager was removed.
And more importantly from the days of FDISK I have had the impression that
changing the settings on the drive was something somewhat 'permanent'. I
have gotten comfortable with the idea of changing partitions using Partition
Magic but isn't it overdoing it to constantly tweak the boot record on the
physical drive changing the partitions that are hidden and/or marked active
which as I understand it is how boot managers work? By the way, your web
page looks very informative and I plan on reading that at some point.

derng said:
Norton Utilities had a registry editor that had a find/replace function but
that does not work in Windows 2000. It seems like Microsoft could have done
something other than hard code the drive letter all through the registry.
Perhaps it would have been too much to put a variable of some sort naming
the boot drive letter since the registry is made up of string values
everywhere. Even in that case a utility could have been built into the
registry editor to change the drive letter. As you say reinstalling may just
be the way to go.

NT4 was better in this area, it did boot with the wrong drive letter, then
you could change drive letters to what they where in the original
installation to get all applications to work. I guess that it was too
complicated to get this functionality in Win2000.
Frankly, after copying the clean install to a second partition and editing
the registry remotely to change the drive letter it worked fine (and I used
Explorer to copy the partition - I don't know if that lost any security
settings on folders/files, but it booted). Having the same drive letter
pointing to different physical partitions in various boots is not that
confusing especially since I'm not changing my 'data' partition letter just
the various O/S installations. I really like having an extra installation to
use for testing, etc. With Windows 2000 and XP installable to any partition
it is a breeze. Win98 on primary partition C and everything else on logical
partitions in the extended partition (even on a second physical drive).

If you do a google search you will find some search and replace tools, even
free ones, that can help.

I do not dual/triple boot, instead I use VM Ware. This software also has an
option to save the current state of the operating system that is running,
or restoring it to what it was when you last booted. A fantastic option to
shoot yourself in your foot, and get away with it... :)

Best regards

Bjorn

I'm Dan

derng said:
I guess my concern about third party boot managers may be unfounded but
perhaps you can shed some light. The first concern is what would happen to
the partitions if for some reason the third party boot manager was removed.
And more importantly from the days of FDISK I have had the impression that
changing the settings on the drive was something somewhat 'permanent'. I
have gotten comfortable with the idea of changing partitions using Partition
Magic but isn't it overdoing it to constantly tweak the boot record on the
physical drive changing the partitions that are hidden and/or marked active
which as I understand it is how boot managers work? By the way, your web
page looks very informative and I plan on reading that at some point.

The boot sector is just another sector like any other on the disk -- it's
just one of many. There is no problem reading/writing to it as often as you
like. Physically, it's no different from the sectors underlying the Windows
pagefile, or any of the myriad other files that Windows writes to countless
times per session, so it's not going to wear out. (The boot sector may not
even physically be the first sector on the disk, since IDE drives have long
been capable of remapping sectors to take bad sectors out of service -- the
drive's integrated controller can just remap another sector in its place and
pretend it's the first sector.)

The operation of third-party boot managers is extremely simple. In a normal
single-boot system, the MBR (which is nothing more than a short bit of
program code) scans the partition table to identify the active boot
partition, then passes control to that partition's PBR (partition boot
record) in the first sector of the partition itself. The MBR doesn't care
(and doesn't need to know) what operating system is in that partition -- all
it does is "pass the baton" and let the PBR take over.

When a third-party boot manager is installed, it replaces the MBR with a new
MBR that diverts the boot process to a menu, giving the user a chance to
control which is the active boot partition. Once the user makes the choice,
the boot manager does nothing more than the normal MBR does -- it passes the
baton to the PBR of the partition the user selected. In effect, all you're
doing is manually designating the boot partition instead of letting it
automatically boot to a default. Installation of a third-party boot manager
makes no changes to any of the operating systems, partitions, or PBRs in
those partitions. All it does is put a menu in the middle of the MBR.

Removing a third-party boot manager involves nothing more than replacing the
MBR once again with a generic version, restoring a default action sans menu.
You don't even need to "uninstall" the boot manager -- the old "fdisk /mbr"
or "fixmbr" commands will do the same thing. At most, you may need to
reflag which partition you want to be the active boot partition and which
partitions should be hidden/unhidden, but that's nothing more than flipping
a couple bits on or off in the partition table -- a trivial task easily
accomplished by any number of utilities, including PartitionMagic.

The part about making no changes to the operating systems or partitions is
what makes third-party boot managers so much better than the
Microsoft/boot.ini technique. That characteristic is what makes it possible
to quickly replace any partition with a clone restoration and have it work
with a minimum of fuss.

I'm Dan

Ben-Zion Joselson said:
I am glad you mentioned the unwelcome interdependence
between dual-boot O/S's on separate partitions.
May I attract your attention to my recent post in the
microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade Newsgroup: