Windows XP Copy a file to multiple folders.

Reaction score
Hi, wonder if anyone can help.

I need to copy a file to multiple folders. I have a parent folder X:\Documents with around 2000 account folders inside and I need to copy a template document to each of these folders.

I found a batch command yesterday that kind of did the job it was

For /R X:\Documents %a in (.) do copy C:\template.doc %a

I ran this and it worked so far as it copied the template to each of the user folders, however each of the account folders contained a subfolder called bills. X:\Documents\(account folder name)\Bills

The template was also copied to each of these bills folders.

So my question is how can I modify this command to copy the template just into each account folder?

Reaction score
Has Ian's reply resolved this question?

If not then the problem is due to the use of /R which walks the whole directory tree.

A command which should work is

for /D %a in (X:\Documents\*) do copy C:\Template.doc "%a"

I found that without the "" around %a the command will not accept subdirectory names with spaces. The /D restricts the for to directory names in the set X:\Documents\* and so does not go down to subdirectories.

Reaction score
Thanks guys, ended up outputting a list of folder names and creating a .bat file instead. But would have been a lot easier if I could have worked that command out.

It's amazing how much more powerfull CMD is than the GUI. Thankfully I now know for next time :)

Ask a Question