cooling fan replacement

Swampy

When replacing cooling case or CPU fans, how does one match it up to his
computer? I have a Dell Dimension 4550. How do I know it will fit because
I want to upgrade the quality?

Shenan Stanley

Swampy said:
When replacing cooling case or CPU fans, how does one match it up
to his computer? I have a Dell Dimension 4550. How do I know it
will fit because I want to upgrade the quality?

Measurements usually.
Chip/Socket-type for CPU.

James Silverton

Swampy wrote on Mon, 28 Jan 2008 13:21:57 -0500:

S> When replacing cooling case or CPU fans, how does one match
S> it up to his computer? I have a Dell Dimension 4550. How
S> do I know it will fit because I want to upgrade the quality?

Can't you take out the fan and go to a computer store with it?
That's what I did last time, tho' mine was not a Dell. There are
even some stores with people around who give sensible advice :)
There are also a lot of groups that discuss hardware.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Ken Blake, MVP

When replacing cooling case or CPU fans, how does one match it up to his
computer? I have a Dell Dimension 4550. How do I know it will fit because
I want to upgrade the quality?

For a case fan, measure it. They come in standard sizes; get one the
same size.

For the CPU, get one that is for your CPU.

David B.

By fan size and connector type. Keep in mind that Dell uses a specific fan
on some models to cool the CPU and you can't replace it with any old fan as
the BIOS won't recognize it and will halt the system.

Swampy

Not a thing, Val. I just expected that someone might ask that question.
Now they don't have to. <smile>

Thanks everyone. It wasn't so much finding a useable fan box, it was Dell's
hookup that made it impossible. Even Comp USA didn't have one.

So I bought the correct fan box with the same specks and spliced the wires
to the old Dell plug. It's working just fine at this time. Thanks to
everyone who responded.