Convert smartdevice project to win32 project

Zanna

Hi all,

I have made some projects for smart devices and I like to use it also for
desktop application, so I like to convert the project.

Is there some tool out there to do so?

Also I'd like to convert pocketpc to windowsCE projects and vice versa.

How to do it?

Thanks

Ginny Caughey [MVP]

Zanna,

I'm not aware of any conversion tool. What I usually do to "convert" a PPC
project to a CE project is create a new empty CE project and then import all
the files into the new project from the PPC project. You could use the same
approach for a Win32 project.

--
Ginny Caughey
..Net Compact Framework MVP

Have an opinion on the effectiveness of Microsoft Embedded newsgroups?
Let Microsoft know!
https://www.windowsembeddedeval.com/community/newsgroups

Brian Smith [MSFT]

Zanna, I would like to add that you might not need to convert the project
at all, depending on what you want to do. Executables built in a Smart
Device project will run on both Windows CE and the desktop. So unless you
want to add some desktop-specific features or debug on the desktop, there
is no need to convert.
Brian
--------------------
From: "Ginny Caughey [MVP]" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Convert smartdevice project to win32 project
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 10:22:13 -0400

Zanna,

I'm not aware of any conversion tool. What I usually do to "convert" a PPC
project to a CE project is create a new empty CE project and then import all
the files into the new project from the PPC project. You could use the same
approach for a Win32 project.

--
Ginny Caughey
.Net Compact Framework MVP

Have an opinion on the effectiveness of Microsoft Embedded newsgroups?
Let Microsoft know!
https://www.windowsembeddedeval.com/community/newsgroups

Joanne

So what would need to be done to get the CE app to run on the desktop?
Woulnd't it need to be rebuilt?

Chris Tacke, eMVP

Not necessarily. A CF managed app written for a device is retargetable and
will run on the desktop as-is *provided* you didn't use any CE-specific
items (like the SHxx APIs) and didn't P/Invoke coredll.dll.

-Chris