folder as a subweb but when I double click on it to open, it says "Server
error: There is no web named "/test". With that error, I can't open or even
delete.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Deb

G

George Hester

I can tell you an easy way to make a FrontPage Server Extended Web. Without IIS Manager. Is that what you want to do? What is your operating system what version of IIS are you using? What version of the FrontPage Server extensions are you using?

D

Deb

Yes, I want to be able to use different permissions on this particular
folder than on my main web. I'm using Windows 2000, IIS 5, and FPSE 2002.

Thanks for the help.

Deb

I can tell you an easy way to make a FrontPage Server Extended Web. Without
IIS Manager. Is that what you want to do? What is your operating system
what version of IIS are you using? What version of the FrontPage Server
extensions are you using?

G

George Hester

With the FPSE 2002 making a FPSE extended subweb is not done using the Sharepoint Administrator nor is it done using IIS Manager in Windows 2000. This is a flaw in the Share Point Administrator in FPSE 2002 in Windows 2000. To tell you the truth I would not use those Extensions in Windows 2000 (FPSE 2000 is sufficient). But we have what we have right?

In C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\_vti_pvt (this folder is hidden). To show hidden files and folders you need to go to Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder options... | View | check or uncheck as the case may be to enable you to see all(most) files and folders.

In this folder _vti_pvt you will find a file called services. This is nothing but a ASCI text file which you can open with Notepad. Do not double-click it else you might associate files of type .cnf with Notepad and you do NOT want to do that. Just use Notepad itself to browse to this area change files of type to All files and open services.

In here you see all your FPSE extended subwebs. If you have a folder called D:\My Webs that you want to make FPSE extended then you would enter at the bottom of the list \My Webs and hit <ENTER>. In FPSE 2002 before you do this you need to set the folder up for Web Sharing. Go to the folder D:\My Webs with Windows Explorer and right-click it. Choose Properties | Web Sharing | Share this folder | Set your permissions here. The defaults are fine. Now you have to give the users NTFS permissions to this folder (using the Security tab). Since IUSR_MachineName is in the Everyone group, for anonymous access, I use Administrator (Full), System (Full), Network and Everyone (Read and Execute, Read, and List folder contents). You decide the NTFS permissions.

Stop and restart the IISAdmin Service and restart the WWW Publishiong Service using Start | Settings | Control Panel | Administrative tools | Services.

My Webs should now be FPSE extended. Check your server extensions in SharePoint Administrator and Recalculate the Web.

Ask a Question