Convert Emails to another format

My company recently initiated an email retention policy. Now, all emails
will expire after 170 days and get removed from the Exchange server. I have
over 100,000 emails stored in several folders under my own PST file on my
workstation. The new policy also disallows the use of local PST files. Does
anyone know of a way to convert emails from within Outlook into Word or Excel
or any other file type? My goal is to move these emails somewhere so I can
still have searching capabilities and quick access while retaining my folder
structure.

Roady [MVP]

It's better that you explain your situation to your company and ask them how
ou should deal with it. Creating archives outside of Outlook is probably
what they are trying to prevent with the policies.

Otherwise you can use this add-in;
http://www.mapilab.com/outlook/email_archiver/

If you decide to order use "4PM76A8" to get a discount

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-What do the Outlook Icons Mean?

Ohio5

Actually you can put your PST folder anywhere you want
either on your hard drive or your folder on your
network. Just add another personal folder and pick the
location and name and then you can move all the emails.
As long as your PST folder is not under your exchange
mailbox your emails will not be lost or deleted.

Good luck~
It's better that you explain your situation to your company and ask them how
ou should deal with it. Creating archives outside of Outlook is probably
what they are trying to prevent with the policies.

Otherwise you can use this add-in;
http://www.mapilab.com/outlook/email_archiver/

If you decide to order use "4PM76A8" to get a discount

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-What do the Outlook Icons Mean?
(e-mail address removed)...
My company recently initiated an email retention policy. Now, all emails
will expire after 170 days and get removed from the Exchange server. I
have
over 100,000 emails stored in several folders under my own PST file on my
workstation. The new policy also disallows the use of local PST files.
Does
anyone know of a way to convert emails from within Outlook into Word or
Excel
or any other file type? My goal is to move these emails somewhere so I
can
still have searching capabilities and quick access while retaining my
folder
structure.

.

The policy says that no PST files are allowed at all. I already keep my PST
file on my local drive and it will be deleted once the policy is in place. I
asked about burning the PST file to a cd and that's not an option.

The goal with this policy is to use email strictly for communication, not an
source to store information. yeah, I know, it stinks! My company told me
that it's up to us to find another avenue to store emails. They suggested
manually copying each email into a Word doc. Now who has time to do that for
over 100,000 emails?

Ohio5 said:
[...]

Brian Tillman

DJMaro said:
My company recently initiated an email retention policy. Now, all
emails will expire after 170 days and get removed from the Exchange
server. I have over 100,000 emails stored in several folders under
my own PST file on my workstation. The new policy also disallows the
use of local PST files. Does anyone know of a way to convert emails
from within Outlook into Word or Excel or any other file type? My
goal is to move these emails somewhere so I can still have searching
capabilities and quick access while retaining my folder structure.

One thing to think about: why are you trying to subvert your company's mail
policy? Often, there are legal reasons why a company might not want mail
retained after a certain length of time (a subpoena can't make a company
produce mail it doesn't have, for example). You could be introducing
yourself to disciplinary measures by keeping mail longer than the company
want. Ask your management what they'd like you to do before trying to
circumvent their rules.

Thanks Brian. For some reason, I thought this was a forum for Outlook
questions. How hard can it be to answer a simple question about Outlook? I
don't need to go into details about my reasons for doing this. My company
has made it clear to us that they only want the information out of email, not
out of the building! I already mentioned that my company offered an option
to place all files into Word Documents. What part of that makes it sound
like I am circumventing their rules? I'm not trying to be the rogue email
archiver here.

So if anyone has any ideas about my original question, please advise. Thanks!

George Hester

Well let's consider this a second. We could always export en mass the outlook messages into Outlook Express. If they didn't take that away from you. Likely didn't for if so things wouldn't work all that well. They may have locked it down.

Now the Co suggested exporting the messages to Word documents. Hmmm..why Word? Why not in anyway which works?

Roady [MVP]

That reply wasn't for me, right? ;-)

--

DJMaro said:
I already
mentioned that my company offered an option to place all files into
Word Documents.

That mention appeared after I had responded, yes, but it's hard to know
information that I hadn't seen at the time I posted.

Brian Tillman

George Hester said:
Well let's consider this a second. We could always export en mass
the outlook messages into Outlook Express. If they didn't take that
away from you. Likely didn't for if so things wouldn't work all that
well. They may have locked it down.

Personally, I think this is a much better suggestion than trying to export
to Word documents.