Excel Convert Datetime Stamp to HH and MM Worked

Reaction score
I am working with a spreadsheet dump from an outside application, and all "time worked" columns automatically output the data in a Datetime stamp format - eg. 1/1/1900 12:52:00 AM. Somehow, in this specific cell, it is displaying 24:52:00, with a custom format of [h]:mm:ss. I am attempting to convert the datetime fields to hours and minutes worked, taking into consideration that many "hh" will be over 24. I can get there using about 14 helper fields, but there must be a better way! Please tell me there is a better way! Thanks!

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Just so I know what you're asking... you want to change the cell format so it displays it differently?

Reaction score
Yes... I am attempting to convert the field to hours and minutes worked, taking into consideration that many "hh" will be over 24.

Reaction score
I need the output to be in a true [h]:mm format so that I can perform many more calculations on this new field.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
If you need to use the figures for calculations, would converting the hours/minutes worked to decimal help? Just multiply by 24, and make sure that your formatting is set to number.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Ah brilliant, I'm pleased to hear that worked for you! Thanks for letting us know :)

Ask a Question