Conversion to NTFS

Reaction score
I have an external hard drive which I notice is FAT32. However I started using it before I got stuck. It will not allow file copy over 4gb. So I wish to convert to NTFS. How can I do the conversion without losing the data on the drive. Pls note I have no other drives to backup the files.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Which operating system are you using, and does the external drive connect over USB? I don't know how to convert USB drives "on the fly".

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Using Windows XP?

Just go to the Command Prompt and execute the command:

C:\> CONVERT C: /fs:ntfs

Where C: is a name of the drive you want to convert.

After machine re-boot conversion process will start and you'll have your FAT32 converted to NTFS without data loss.

user.gif

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Using Windows XP?

Just go to the Command Prompt and execute the command:

C:\> CONVERT C: /fs:ntfs

Where C: is a name of the drive you want to convert.

After machine re-boot conversion process will start and you'll have your FAT32 converted to NTFS without data loss.

user.gif

Does it work for external hard drive? The reason why I ask is I have already lost this data once due to an "expert" instead of formatting my local hard drive "C" formatted my additional drive that had all this data and it has cost me an arm and a leg to get this info together again. Thanks for your help.

PS OS Vista external connected via USB

Last edited:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
That was for XP, and you change the drive letter to the one you are converting - can't help with Vista I'm afraid as I don't use it :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
You are going to need another drive at some time in the future . So get one now , convert it to NTFS , put the data on mit and use your present drive after converting to NTFS as a ready in waiting backup .

:D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
ted.kennedy said:
The link to MS site returns an article for Vista!
yeah, right ... pointless pointing to XP if one IS using Vista in the first place ... read the whole thread. ;)

PS, OS is Vista external connected via USB

:rolleyes:

Ask a Question