Controlling Access through remote access policy in NATIVE-mode

G

hello,
yesterday i have enabled RRAS on my w2k-server. the intention was to create a vpn-connection so i could easily connect to my home-LAN while i´m at work in the office. i´ve deployed a domain with a domain-controller , DHCP- and DNS-enabled, with two concurrent physical client-connections, either two w2k-clients or 1 w2k- and an xp-client (one client is dual-bootable) and , from time to time, approximately 2-3 virtual-pc-clients.
my problem:
i have definately installed and configured my domain in native-mode, because of no need for downward compatibility.
after i configured my RRAS-Server as a VPN-Server i was trying to configure my user-profile so that i would be able to dial-in.
in the user-properties , on the dial-in tab, all Remote Access Properties should be available, the Remote Access-Policies too, because i am in native-mode.
but though i am in native mode, i cannot control the Policies! why?
i´ll be grateful for every hint,
kindly regards
Rayek

S

Steven L Umbach

Be sure to reboot after changing your domain controller to native mode. Then you
should be configuring your user account in Active Directory Users and Computers. If
for some reason it still will not allow you to select control through policies just
select allow. You still can use Remote Access Policy if allow is selected but the
deny access will not work if policy conditions are met. The edit profile settings
will work for a matched policy and a policy must be matched [such as the default
policy] or access will be denied. --- Steve

Rayek said:
hello,
yesterday i have enabled RRAS on my w2k-server. the intention was to create a
vpn-connection so i could easily connect to my home-LAN while i´m at work in the
office. i´ve deployed a domain with a domain-controller , DHCP- and DNS-enabled, with
two concurrent physical client-connections, either two w2k-clients or 1 w2k- and an
xp-client (one client is dual-bootable) and , from time to time, approximately 2-3
virtual-pc-clients.
my problem:
i have definately installed and configured my domain in native-mode, because of no
need for downward compatibility.
after i configured my RRAS-Server as a VPN-Server i was trying to configure my
user-profile so that i would be able to dial-in.
in the user-properties , on the dial-in tab, all Remote Access Properties should be
available, the Remote Access-Policies too, because i am in native-mode.

G

thank you for your help, steven.
i don´t know what´s gotten into me, seems to me that my brains were burned
up, while installing.
i simply forgot to switch to native-mode when installing Active Directory.
i thought i installed it for sure....
embarassing...

;-)

Ask a Question