Control user ability to open the backend database

Discussion in 'Microsoft Access Forms' started by Guest, Jun 24, 2005.

    For the most part, I've got all my security set up the way I want it with my
    test database. However, there is another thing I am trying to do that I
    cannot seem to get. When I open my database, I have it set to pop up one of
    the forms right away without even showing the database window. However, while
    you still have Access open, you are able to open the same file, which will
    then open the actual database window (the tables, forms, reports, etc.). It
    doesn't matter which member it is.

    I found a way to block them from doing this. I blocked those certain users
    from being able to open the database. That, however, doesn't let them get
    into it at all (which I figured would probably be the result). I want them to
    be able to open all forms for which I've given them permission, to enter
    information into the form (and therefore, into the table), and so on. I just
    don't want them to be able to open the backend database. Any ideas on how
    this can be accomplished?

    --
    Have a nice day!

    ~Paul
    Express Scripts,
    Charting the future of pharmacy

    Guest, Jun 24, 2005

    If your users are not that knowledgable about Access, a quick and dirty way
    is to put an autoexec macro in the backend database that executes docmd.quit.
    As soon as the open the database, it will immediately close. Just don't
    tell them about holding the shift key down to get into it.

    Guest, Jun 24, 2005