continuous form and scrolling to view more columns

Dominique Schroeder

From: "Dominique Schroeder" <[email protected]>
Subject: continuous form scroll issue
Date: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 11:39 AM

Hi,

I have a subform that incorporates a continuous form. There are more
columns in the
underlying table that can fit on the screen, so essentially users have to
scroll horizontally using the mouse on the horizontal scrollbar to view the
information to the right of the screen.

My users use the keyboard and not the mouse, to do data entry , make changes
and navigate around.

Is there a way to move the data into the current window as
one tabs to the right to columns that are beyond vision.?

thanks,

Dominique

jahoobob via AccessMonster.com

As they Tab to the next field, that field should scroll into view. Does this
not happen?

Dominique Schroeder

No it does not,

They have to use the scroll bar to get the fields into view.
This is aggravating for someone who is entering data.

We have Access 2000, SR-1 version.
Is there a property that I hav to turn or an option setting?

Dominique

Dominique Schroeder

No, neither pressing the TAB key nor the ENTER key to go to the next field,
scrolls the new field into view.

The cursor just disappears out of view and reappears when it moves to the
next record in the grid, on the first field that is within the view.

Dominique

Ron2006

Here is one way it can happen.

Create an unbound form that is 7 inches wide.
Now drop/create a subform on that form for a query/table that has let's
say 15 fields.
IF the subform makes the main form wider than 7 inches, change the
width of the SUBFORM back down untill it is less than the 7 inches.

The result is a mainform that is 7 inches and a sub form that is less
than 7 inches.
If you now open that form the tabing on the records will cause the
fields to slide into view as you go across the record.

The key is that the SUBFORM MUST be smaller than the main form (which
is Always true) AND the main form MUST be smaller than the monitor
screen and or the maximum widow size of acces as you are running it.

Ron

Ron2006

I may have to eat some of my words. I just played around with some
forms and I cannot get it to do what you are describing even when I
break the rules that I said you should follow. So I am not sure and my
rules are not 100% applicable. They may be helpful in general form
design but not manditory. I know that we had the problem with another
developer's datasheet view that broke those rules and if you scrolled
to the right, then you could not figure out what line you were on
because the record selector was no longer in view. .

I think I have seen what you are describing but can't duplicate it
right now.

Another thought. Was the form perhaps designed on a higher resolution
monitor and when the problem occurs is it on a lower resolution monitor
which causes part of the window to be off the side of the screen.?

I will have to think about this one.

Ron.

Dominique Schroeder

Ron,

This definitely cleared the problem, at least in my case.
You are amazing and I'm so enthused.

Again, thank you
Dominique