Console app (Debug)- how to redirect standard input/output?

Bill Cohagan

I'm writing a console app (in C#) and I want to be able to redirect the
standard input/output streams when it's run at a command prompt. IOW I want
to support the "<" and ">" redirection syntax. The obvious way to do this is
by using the static Console type properties, In and Out. When trying to
debug the app in the IDE however, this doesn't appear to work. I've edited
the project properties and added the necessary text to the "command line"
argument property, but no joy.

So, have I missed something? Is there a way to simulate redirection from
within the IDE for a Console app?

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Bret Mulvey

Have you tried Console.SetIn() and Console.SetOut()? The ">" redirection
syntax is handled by the command-line interpreter and the IDE doesn't
simulate that. It just treats it as a regular string and the redirection
command gets passed as a string argument, which it looks like you've
discovered.

Bill Cohagan

Bret-
Yes, I've tried SetIn and SetOut, but that means I have to execute
different code in the IDE than I do "in real life", not a very robust
situation. As it turns out I'm having major problems with just using
Console.In in the EXE; i.e., not in the IDE. I'm building a validating XML
reader around that input stream and I'm getting an error complaining that
the object doesn't support a write (?).

Thanks for the response,
Bill

Jeffrey Tan[MSFT]

Hi Bill,

I think you can compile your program, then open the console window.
Drag the exe file that your program generated into the console window, then
you can add
paramters after this exe file name.

In you error problem, I think you did not express clear, what exception did
you get?

Best regards,
Jeffrey Tan
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Bill Cohagan" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Console app (Debug)- how to redirect standard input/output?
| Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 15:19:22 -0500
| Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.dotnet.general,microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp

| Bret-
| Yes, I've tried SetIn and SetOut, but that means I have to execute
| different code in the IDE than I do "in real life", not a very robust
| situation. As it turns out I'm having major problems with just using
| Console.In in the EXE; i.e., not in the IDE. I'm building a validating XML
| reader around that input stream and I'm getting an error complaining that
| the object doesn't support a write (?).
|
| Thanks for the response,
| Bill
|
| | > Have you tried Console.SetIn() and Console.SetOut()? The ">"
redirection
| > syntax is handled by the command-line interpreter and the IDE doesn't
| > simulate that. It just treats it as a regular string and the redirection
| > command gets passed as a string argument, which it looks like you've
| > discovered.

| > > standard input/output streams when it's run at a command prompt. IOW I
| > want
| > > to support the "<" and ">" redirection syntax. The obvious way to do
| this
| > is
| > > by using the static Console type properties, In and Out. When trying
| > > debug the app in the IDE however, this doesn't appear to work. I've
| edited
| > > the project properties and added the necessary text to the "command
| line"
| > > argument property, but no joy.
| > >
| > > So, have I missed something? Is there a way to simulate redirection
from
| > > within the IDE for a Console app?
| > >
| > > Thanks in advance,
| > > Bill

Bill Cohagan

Jeffrey-
The error I got is described more precisely in my other posting (Write
error on Read()??) to which you've already responded, although I've
responded to that requesting that you consider this further.

Thanks for responding,
Bill