Connecting old PC to new one for data files transfer

Crazy Horse

Well this is sort of a double post, for which I apologize...

Prior to my original post (below), I tried locating the relevant XP Help
info... initially without success. Having later found the information I
thought I needed, I posted a "never mind" reply to the original thread.
Since then, further investigation has led me to another question:

Can I connect two computers together (for the purpose of migrating my
data) using something called a "crossover cable"? I ask because no such
cable was ever mentioned in the (seemingly thorough) XP Help
information. Other direct-connection cables (e.g., LapLink, null modem,
etc.) *were* mentioned... but nothing about a crossover cable.

I learned about crossover cables after contacting a local CompUSA store
to inquire about purchasing a low-cost hub. In the course of the
discussion, the store guy said I didn't even need to get a hub if all I
wanted was a direct connection between two computers. That's when he
mentioned the crossover cable.

So can anyone corroborate what his guy is telling me? Can I connect my
old PC to my new laptop so I can transfer my data files over... using a
"crossover cable"?

Thanks for your help.
_______
-CH
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

***** ORIGINAL POST *****
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 16:38:12 -0300

This is probably a remarkably stupid question, but is there a way I can
connect my old computer (Pentium-1 class CPU, Win'95) to my new laptop,
short of going out and buying a router or something?

Both computers have an Ethernet adapter. I'm 'Net-connected via cable
modem, and therefore have a cable running between my modem and the
Ethernet adapter in my computer. I was wondering if it would be
possible to accomplish this, simply by connecting the two computers via
their Ethernet adapters, using the cable that normally connects the
cable modem to the computer. (this is the part that's probably a stupid
question!)

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
_______
-CH
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Crazy Horse

Well, double apologies... my original post was answered in ...newusers.
Looks like I jumped the gun when I posted to this newsgroup.

Anyway, no one needs to bother replying to this thread. Thanks... and
again... sorry.
_______
-CH
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯