Connecting and Recording From VHS Via Computer

Reaction score
I've recently bought a SCART to Phono lead as show here (http://www.cutpricecables.co.uk/images/proscarttophono.jpg) because browsing the net that what I was lead to believe that I needed in order to be able to link my VHS up to my computer and therefore start to capture from my VHS tapes.

Well, I've got the SCART to Phono cable and I don't know how on earth what I link it to. Any help would be grate;y appreciated! Thanks.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
if you dont have a vido capture card the lead is useless, what connections does you VCR have ? do you have a video capture card ?

Reaction score
From what I can make out I've got an ASUS TV7134 WMD Video Capture (I'm assuming it came with the computer).

My VCR has a SCART connection and two others that just say "In" and "Out" and I'm not really sure sure what kind of connection they are.

Reaction score
What colour connectors are on the MOBO Video card?
and what colour are they on the VHS Recorder
Red > Yellow > White?
Exactly please!

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
From what I can work out the Asus TV7134 is a TV Tuner card which is suitable for capturing video.

The Scart to phono lead you've purchased has three phono sockets on one end, two of these will be for audio, one will be for the composite video signal.

The usual method when capturing footage from VCR is to take the stereo audio signal to your sound card's input (line in) socket and the composite video signal plugs into the video-in socket of the TV tuner card.

The audio in socket on your computer willl be a 3.5mm stereo jack socket, so you need a two x phono socket to stereo 3.5mm jack plug lead to capture sound. Plug the two phono plugs from your new lead into the two sockets on the lead I've described, once you obtain one. Then plug the stereo jack plug into your sound card's line in socket, usually coloured blue.

Your TV tuner card should have a phono socket marked 'video' plug the remaining phono plug in there.

Your TV tuner should have software. Open up the program you use to watch TV and find the 'switch' to select composite video. Select it.

Now play back a video cassette and you should be able to see playback within your TV Tuner software screen.

You do need to get the audio from the VCR SCART lead you already have into the 3.5mm stereo socket in your soundcard, so you need to buy another lead, the one I've described above.

It would help a great deal if you could describe exactly what connections you have on the back of your Asus TV Tuner card.

Once you have video and audio playing back on your computer, you're going to need some capture/editing software.

Pinnacle Studio 9 is good, as is Nero Video Express and Adobe Premiere Elements.

But first, let us know your card connections, get the video and audio into your computer, and we'll go from there.

If you're unclear about any aspects of the above, just shout for further clarification or help.

Reaction score
Pinnacle 9 is GOOD?

Now I know that I must be doing something wrong. Pinnacle 9 is good you say, well I havent actually found that to be the case myself. Have you used it yourself, if so please tell me how to get the captured video onto a DVD without it looking really poor (that is if it captures correctly in the first place). I have heard many times that Pinnacle products are considered to be 'crippleware' and are not tested properly before release.

Looks good, but doesnt work is my opinion.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
timmy said:
Now I know that I must be doing something wrong. Pinnacle 9 is good you say, well I havent actually found that to be the case myself. Have you used it yourself,

Yes I have. Frequently. Works fine for me. It is essential you apply the latest patch, have you done so?

if so please tell me how to get the captured video onto a DVD without it looking really poor (that is if it captures correctly in the first place).

I actually use Nero to burn the final DVD and Pinnacle just for capturing and editing, although I have burnt a couple of DVD's directly from Pinnacle Studio.

I can't remember offhand the process I used so I suggest you read the manual. I'm sure if I worked it out then you can. I'm not a 24 hour help desk.

I have heard many times that Pinnacle products are considered to be 'crippleware' and are not tested properly before release.

Looks good, but doesnt work is my opinion.

Well, we're all entitled to our opinion and if it pleases you, then believe what you will. It certainly hasn't crippled my system.

It's not the best video software on the market by far, I'd say the best software in reach of the home user's budget is Adobe Premiere, the full version.

And I'm not trying to plug Pinnacle Studio 9, far from it, I'm aware of it's shortcomings. All I'll say is that it works fine for me and I'm happy with it.

I'd also say that you probably need at least a 1.5Ghz processor for it to work well and a Gig of RAM helps matters a lot.

Originally posted by itsme:

Hauppauge is by far the better;) of the two in my opinion.

Hauppage make the best TV cards for sure (imo) but I wasn't aware they made software similar to Pinnacles.

Please give me a link, I'd be interested to see what they have to offer :)

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Yes I have. Frequently. Works fine for me. It is essential you apply the latest patch, have you done so?

I actually use Nero to burn the final DVD and Pinnacle just for capturing and editing, although I have burnt a couple of DVD's directly from Pinnacle Studio.

I can't remember offhand the process I used so I suggest you read the manual. I'm sure if I worked it out then you can. I'm not a 24 hour help desk.

Well, we're all entitled to our opinion and if it pleases you, then believe what you will. It certainly hasn't crippled my system.

It's not the best video software on the market by far, I'd say the best software in reach of the home user's budget is Adobe Premiere, the full version.

And I'm not trying to plug Pinnacle Studio 9, far from it, I'm aware of it's shortcomings. All I'll say is that it works fine for me and I'm happy with it.

I'd also say that you probably need at least a 1.5Ghz processor for it to work well and a Gig of RAM helps matters a lot.

Originally posted by itsme:

Hauppage make the best TV cards for sure (imo) but I wasn't aware they made software similar to Pinnacles.

Please give me a link, I'd be interested to see what they have to offer :)

Sorry Flops:blush: I meant Magix 3.0 or higher:D http://site.magix.net/index.php?id=411 :thumb:

Reaction score
I have over 2Ghz processing power, but only 512 Mb RAM so maybe that is my problem. Using Nero to burn the result makes sense as I have had no problems using Nero in the past with audio recording from all formats and sources. By the way, I realise that you are not a 24 hr helpdesk and yes, I am able to work out the manual myself, but without apportioning blame I am suffering with a Mesh system to do all this on.

Reaction score
Floppybootstomp. As I'm new to video editing, it could be that I havent used the software properly (but I dont think so, as I have read and re read the manual and discussed it with various people over time), but as I would really like to use the Pinnacle 9, can you shed any light on how to do it properly as you say you use it frequently. Other than procesing power, what should I do to make the end product look as good as the original. My problem is that I end up with a very pixelated, smeary looking pictue with aweful lipsnyc. I know it takes power, time and hard drive space to render the information, but up against a fairly simple domestic DVD recorder which produces spot on quality, my PC tends to churn out rubbish. Can you give me any pointers on bitrates etc. I havent used the software for ages because of the quality so any new help is appreciated.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
timmy, it's been a long day, I've supped a few and my brain is fried at the moment :)

If I get time tomorrow, I'll go through the process I use to record files from VCR to DVD using Pinnacle 9 and Nero.

One quick suggestion though. Pinnacle will save two files of captured media. The first I label 'Raw' and the second rendered version I label 'rendered'.

Nero doesn't like the rendered version, so I always burn the raw one.

And for capture settings I use the auto 'DVD Quality'. Remember that you can't improve on the quality of the original VHS recording, only hope to capture it at at least the same quality.

Playback of VHS footage on a computer monitor will look grainy, but on a normal TV will be quite acceptable.

Anyway, tomorrow, I'll explain how I do it, be it right or wrong, it works for me ;)

Reaction score
I think Pinnacle is overated.

I do the editing with MGI and when I want some effects that Pinnacle has do it and save, open the video finish editing with MGI.

I found some freeware will capture and edit better than Pinnacle.

Why dose it cost so much, I wouldnt have bought it.

I use a ATI 7200 video card with Svideo and raw to capture.

Reaction score
Well I did buy it and so I want to use it. I must say though, that I dont seem to be getting on very well so I am hoping that Floppybootstomp will be able to point me in the right direction. I really want to edit DV footage, but I think that he might only use analogue. Otherwise,I might as well just use the domestic DVD recorder downstairs, like in the old days with a video recorder. BTW, what freeware did you find.

Reaction score
Im tryin to find urls.

All anti-pest tested.
ABC Video Roll this is old freeware captures OK

http://www.freewarefiles.com/program_6_74_453.html

Wax I like this one it works with plugins. This freeware has the best capture.

http://debugmode.com/wax/

If I can find more URLs Ill post.

I have some URL to video format converters also AVI, MPEG to DVD ect.

I know what ya mean I do use it, but when I used a cheaper video editer MGI it seems to work better for capture. Pinnacle has the most video effects.

Reaction score
TECHGUNS said:
Im tryin to find urls.

All anti-pest tested.
ABC Video Roll this is old freeware captures OK

http://www.freewarefiles.com/program_6_74_453.html

Wax I like this one it works with plugins. This freeware has the best capture.

http://debugmode.com/wax/

If I can find more URLs Ill post.

I have some URL to video format converters also AVI, MPEG to DVD ect.

I know what ya mean I do use it, but when I used a cheaper video editer MGI it seems to work better for capture. Pinnacle has the most video effects.
I'll take a look and see what they're like.

Ask a Question