    Any ideas how to solve this?

    Thanks

    John

    eatmorepies, Feb 26, 2011

  2. eatmorepies

    ng_reader Guest

    On 2/26/2011 5:33 PM, eatmorepies wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I have an old ML-4500 mono laser with an LPT connection. I want to use it on
    > my XP machine - this only has USB ports. I've bought an adapter cable and
    > downloaded and installed various drivers from Samsung - but the
    > computer/printer system is not working.
    >
    > Any ideas how to solve this?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > John

    I posted just below this on an internal card that offers a single
    parallel port. A lot of us in the community likely have them laying
    around for some reason. A new one, here in the US, is about 15 bucks
    plus shipping

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...arallel_interface_card-_-15-124-018-_-Product

    You'll need the parallel cable but you already have that, I reckon.

    ng_reader, Mar 1, 2011

  3. eatmorepies

    eatmorepies Guest

    >> John
    >>

    > I posted just below this on an internal card that offers a single parallel
    > port. A lot of us in the community likely have them laying around for some
    > reason. A new one, here in the US, is about 15 bucks plus shipping
    >
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...arallel_interface_card-_-15-124-018-_-Product
    >
    > You'll need the parallel cable but you already have that, I reckon.

    Good idea - I had hoped to be able to run the printer from several
    machines - but at least I get some use from it the way you suggest.

    John

    eatmorepies, Mar 2, 2011
  4. eatmorepies

    ng_reader Guest

    On 3/2/2011 3:57 AM, eatmorepies wrote:
    >>> John
    >>>

    >> I posted just below this on an internal card that offers a single
    >> parallel port. A lot of us in the community likely have them laying
    >> around for some reason. A new one, here in the US, is about 15 bucks
    >> plus shipping
    >>
    >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...arallel_interface_card-_-15-124-018-_-Product
    >>

    >> You'll need the parallel cable but you already have that, I reckon.

    > Good idea - I had hoped to be able to run the printer from several
    > machines - but at least I get some use from it the way you suggest.
    >
    > John

    If you are looking to share, it should act the same was as if it were
    connected via USB. That is, you can use the computer it is connected to,
    and set up the printer as a shared printer. On the home network, more
    than one printer is "shared" allowing for use of multiple printers from
    multiple computers at the same time. Of course, the print "server"
    computer has to be on, for it to work. Purchasing an external "print
    server" will allow for all functions....

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...26&cm_re=print_servfer-_-33-156-026-_-Product

    Or similar.

    But, whatever you do, do NOT opt for free shipping from New Egg. Or the
    Egg-saver shipping. Whatever that is. Basically you can add about 5
    business days for DHL and the USPS to play keep-away with your package.

    ng_reader, Mar 2, 2011