Connect to SQL Server 2000

Chris Voon

I use the following code to connect to SQL server 2000
from a connected PPC device. My pocket explorer is able
to view the ssce. I execute the code on real pocketpc
2002 device and emulator and both throws an exception
when i execute the Open() method. An
PlatformNotSupportedException thrown. Any idea what's
wrong? I'm using SQL server 2000 with sp3 and sp3a sql ce
server tools
Public Sub GetResultSets()
Dim conNwindCE As SqlConnection
Dim cmdData As SqlCommand
Dim connString As String
Dim dr As SqlDataReader

Try
' Create and open a connection
connString
= "server=10.1.12.72;database=NWind_SQLCE;"
connString &= "user id=sa;pwd=pwd;"
conNwindCE = New SqlConnection(connString)
conNwindCE.Open()
Catch ex As Exception
MessageBox.Show(ex.Message)
Finally
dr.Close()
conNwindCE.Close()
End Try
End Sub

marcmc

double check you are using PPC2002
Dim HostName As String = System.Net.Dns.GetHostName()

You have the right versions, can't see anything wrong
with your code...maybe try....this as this definetly
works..
set txtDBName.Text on screen for something like
\Storage Card\FolderName\DBName.sdf
-- wherever your sqlce db lives

Private DBNameConnection As SqlCeConnection

DBconnection = New SqlCeConnection("Data Source = " &
txtMasterDB.Text)

DBNameConnection.Open()
// code
DBNameConnection.Close()
DBNameConnection.Dispose()

Frank

If I understand properly you try to open a table on the
server from the ppc. this is not possible: or you connect
to a database residing on the ppc, which you synchronize
with the server or you download a table from the server to
the ppc.

Kevin Boske - [MS]

Chris,

Is your Pocket PC using the same language as your SQL Server? If they do
not match, change the Collation of the SQL Server Database to match that of
the SQL Server.

Kevin Boske
([email protected])
SQL Server CE Team
Microsoft
Everything you need to know about SQL Server CE:

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/ce/techinfo/default.asp