Connect Tables? I have too many fields

Reaction score
Hello,

I am setting up a Database for a school that enrolls students temporarily until they can go back to their original school. Many of these students come back to us again and again, so we would like to keep all of their enrollment history together in one record.
So, I have set up a Form that feeds into the Student table. I have the StudentID number, Name, Age, Grade, Address and so on and so on and on and on. But where I am running into the problem is that on the form, I want 10 enrollment histories for each student that include address, grade, enrollment date, leaving date, teacher, classes, and so on. So, when the student comes back to us, we can enter in and still keep track of all the students' information from the first time they enrolled, and the second time enrolled, and third and so on. After all said and done, I need about 400 fields for each student.
I thought about making it to where we could add a new record every time a student comes back and re-enrolls, but that means that student would get a new StudentID. For many reasons, that is not a good thing. :)
So, is there a way to get all the fields I need for each student?

Thank you!!

Reaction score
Hello,

I am setting up a Database for a school that enrolls students temporarily until they can go back to their original school. Many of these students come back to us again and again, so we would like to keep all of their enrollment history together in one record.
So, I have set up a Form that feeds into the Student table. I have the StudentID number, Name, Age, Grade, Address and so on and so on and on and on. But where I am running into the problem is that on the form, I want 10 enrollment histories for each student that include address, grade, enrollment date, leaving date, teacher, classes, and so on. So, when the student comes back to us, we can enter in and still keep track of all the students' information from the first time they enrolled, and the second time enrolled, and third and so on. After all said and done, I need about 400 fields for each student.
I thought about making it to where we could add a new record every time a student comes back and re-enrolls, but that means that student would get a new StudentID. For many reasons, that is not a good thing. :)
So, is there a way to get all the fields I need for each student?

Thank you!!

You would be better off making a separate table for enrollment history and using the StudentID as a foreign key to link to the Student table. You can then have as many history records as you want for each student rather than a 10 record limit. You would also cut down the number of fields you need too. This way the students ID number would not change. You could also add a field to the student table to make a student inactive.

Ask a Question