Confusion over RAM with seller

Reaction score
As per other thread, I brought RAM from ebay seller, it didn't work, I emailed seller and he said the following:

Your computer's motherboard comes with a SiS 741 chipset that does not support high density memory. You will need to use low density memory in your computer.

My motherboard is AS Rock K7S41.

I brought this memory.......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280192496827&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=018

I did check my motherboard before and it doesnt say weather memory needs to be high density or low density so who is right here?

Did I purchase the right or wrong memory?

Reaction score
If this is what you purchased it is the correct RAM for your MOBO.He is wrong.

SAMSUNG 2GB 2 x 1GB PC3200 400Mhz DDR RAM 2

Oh and welcome:wave:

Reaction score
gtz101 are you UK or USA based?
If your UK based and your buying from the USA could be a problem with power voltage to the PC?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
The 'seller' is wrong, to a point, however, there is more to memory than high or low, and that's another story anyway. I can get technical, but you'll be non the wiser.

You should have heeded the words of experience. Don't buy anything for the PC from eBay. :rolleyes:

Get your money back ... or make a keyring. :thumb:

user.gif

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
gtz101 said:
hi, so is the voltage thing correct?
yes ...

Is it likely the RAM is just faulty?
Possibility, but I have more knowledge than most on what constitutes as 'faulty' ram.

I have said many times here in the past, I don't care who makes/supplies the ram, I want to know who made the chips that are on the ram ... I can read the code off ram.

I cannot tell you if what you bought is actually compatible or not without inspecting it in my hand, or some damn good photos. Also, I hold no regard to SIS chipset motherboards either. You get what you pay for, and they are, IMHO, crap.

The thing is, you thought you were getting a "good deal" and ended up with a bucket of bolts.

People like Crucial have a reputation second to none, and I ain't talking about silly crap reputation 'feedback' as in eBay.

You ain't the first to be 'caught' out from that 'supplier' and no doubt you won't be the last.

Get your money back, or make a keyring. You can't "fix" ram that don't work in your system.

:user:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I don't wanna come across as some smug git but several people here, including myself, advised you not to buy from that supplier and go to Crucial or buy a known good brand.

You didn't and you got stung.

Had you listened to us for a few quid more you'd now have working memory in your machine and be confident it was covered against faults by a long warranty.

I'll say it again - there is no free lunch.

Time and time again people penny pinch and get stung proving that age-old adage 'You only get what you pay for'.

It's not as if memory is even expensive at the moment, it's literally a quarter of the price that it was this time last year. Believe me I know that and it hurts ;)

AS I said, I'm not putting you down or adapting a smug 'told you so' attitude, but please, listen to us in future, that's what we're here for :)

Reaction score
hi, I agree but the seller runs a shop - emartbuyer which is well known so that was the reason I decided to go along with it. It was like any old seller selling on ebay, emartbuyer Ltd is well known.

muckshifter said:
Also, I hold no regard to SIS chipset motherboards either. You get what you pay for, and they are, IMHO, crap.

Why crap? I know a few people who have had SIS Chipset motherboards that live on and on even more then other types of motherboards.

Last edited:

Ask a Question