Confused beyond belief

Reaction score
Hi,

I am hoping someone can assist me with an issue I have been trying to resolve for hours now. It has bee sending me crazy and I am hoping it is just something simple I have missed.

I have set the security rights of a top level folder so that only administrators can access it. There is, however, a word document and a subfolder within the parent folder that I want all users to have full access to. I have changed the permissions of both the file ad the subfolder so that the user group has full control. I then placed shortcuts on the desktop of all users to the file and subfolder.

The users can access the subfolder by clicking on their shortcuts without any problems. The issue arises when they try to open the file. When they click on it an egg timer flashes up and then nothing further happens. When they try to recreate a shortcut from their desktop to the file they receive the message ‘file not found’.

I have checked Group Policy and the user group definitely has the ‘Bypass Traverse Checking’ right.

I would greatly appreciate any advice. I’ve been trying to figure this out for hours with no luck. As I said I just hope I’m missing something very simple.

Thank you.

Ask a Question