Conditional Forwarding Not Available

Joe Wu [MSFT]

Dear Jeff,

Thank you for your update.

I have performed further research and I suspected it is a SMB sign issue.

Please check the event log to see if there are other errors such as 1030
event. If so, we can try a hotfix mentioned in the following Knowledge Base
article:

810907 Error Messages When You Open or Copy Network Files on Windows XP SP1
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=810907

Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the hotfix. To
obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look
at the web site listed below.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

NOTE: If you contact Microsoft to obtain this fix, a fee may be initially
applied. However, this fee is refundable if it is determined that you
require only the requested fix. On the other hand, this fee is
non-refundable if you request additional technical support.

However, if the problem still persists, since it is not related to the
original issue (DNS forward issue), I would like to suggest that you post
this question in a dedicated news group for Windows XP:

microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

I hope the problem can be resolved quickly.

Once again, thank you for using our news groups!

Regards,
Joe Wu
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation

|From: "Jeff Smyrski" <[email protected]>
<dhuumP#[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
|Subject: Re: Conditional Forwarding Not Available
|Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 12:59:46 -0400
|Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns
|
|I looked at this article, too 314494, but there is no EnableDFS in the
|registry under Mup.
|
|I added the value and left its setting at 0
|This did not matter
|
|Looking at the error it seems that it is related to
|\\DOMAINNAME.COM\SYSVOL\domainname.com...etc...etc

|The folder exists, but if I attempt to browse to it from the machine
|generating the error, I either get file can not be found, or a permissions
|error if I just try to browse to the SYSVOL folder, all the while doing
this
|as admin.
|
|On the other hand, if I do the same thing from my workstation, as me, a
|member of admins, I can get to the file no prob. It almost seems that even
|though I am logging into the domain, I am not getting the permissions to do
|anything on it...
|
|Currently I am reinstalling XP from scratch using the restore CD for this
|machine, but not the HP Restore Plus feature, I will just install XP myself
|instead of letting HPs cd do it.
|
|Related to the SYSVOL if I look a the properties of the folder there is a
|DFS tab, but for both domain controllers the Status for active says NO from
|this machine, and checking the status says unreachable. But again if I do
|it from my XP workstation as me, I get the Backup DC as active and both
|check out okay.
|
|Any ideas...
|
|Jeff Smyrski
|

||> Dear Jeff,
|>
|> Thank you for your reply.
|>
|> I am glad to hear that the DNS forwarder issue has been resolved.
|Regarding
|> the 1058 Event on the Windows XP client, it seems it is not a DNS
problem.
|> You may try the solution mentioned in the following Knowledge Base
article
|> first to see if it works:
|>
|> 314494 Group Policies Are Not Applied The Way You Expect; "Event ID 1058"
|> and
|> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314494
|>
|> By the way, I have check the ISA thread you mentioned. Currently an
|> engineer is performing researching on that issue and will get back to you
|> soon.
|>
|> If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know. I will
do
|> my best to help you.
|>
|> Thanks!
|>
|> Regards,
|> Joe Wu
|> Product Support Services
|> Microsoft Corporation
|>
|> Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
|>
|> ====================================================
|> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
|> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
|> ====================================================
|> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> [...]
|> |
|> |Well, Before trying these steps, the forwarders began to work. I am not
|> |really sure, why, but I did change the Gateway to be the firewall,
|although
|> |this did not seem to matter, last night.
|> |
|> |This morning, I was able to perform a NSLOOKUP using the local DNS
|server,
|> |and it forwarded the request as expected.
|> |
|> |I then removed the ISP's DNS entries in the Proxy's NIC that points to
|the
|> |firewall. So that the only entry that remains is my internal DNS server
|> |entry.
|> |
|> |Everything seems to be working fine now, and the Netlogon 5774 error at
|the
|> |Proxy has not shown up in 7 hours...so this is good.
|> |
|> |HOWEVER - On my new XP machines I am still getting the following errors
|of
|> |which I thought might be solved with this DNS error, as if it can't
find
|> |the server, the path does exist, but it seems to be related the the
Proxy
|> |Client that is installed on the machine. By the way I posted on the
|> |ISA.Configuration board 3 days ago and nobody has replied...I thought as
|> |technet subscriber, I am guaranteed a response. Thanks.
|> |
|> |Jeff Smyrski
|> |
|> | Event Type: Error
|> |Event Source: Userenv
|> |Event Category: None
|> |Event ID: 1058
|> |Date: 10/2/2003
|> |Time: 10:20:07 AM
|> |User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
|> |Computer: STATION_120
|> |Windows cannot access the file gpt.ini for GPO
|>
||CN={31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9},CN=Policies,CN=System,DC=BANKOFU
|> |CA,DC=COM. The file must be present at the location
|>
||<\\BANKOFUTICA.COM\sysvol\BANKOFUTICA.COM\Policies\{31B2F340-016D-11D2-945
|> -
|> |00C04FB984F9}\gpt.ini>. (The network path was not found. ). Group Policy
|> |processing aborted.
|> |
|> |
|> |
|> |
|> |
|> |

|User

|then
|DNS.

|the

|> |servers:

|so
|> |rights.

|it,
|> |so
|> |reasons.
|> |> |
|not
|for
|> |> |
|name
|> |localhost
|> |> |
IP
|> of
|> of
|> |> |
|> |does
|> |> |
|the
|> |> |
|> |> |
|> |> |

|> |server,
|> (ISP
|> |DNS
|> set

|go

|get

|newsreader
|> |so

|soon
|> |be
|> |like
|> |> |> |
|(As
|all
|> |the
|> |servers.
|ISP
|> |and
|> |> |> |
Proxy
|> |for
|> |> |> |
|> |> |> |
|> |> |> |
|> |> |> |
|> |> |> |

|> |> |> |
|> the
|> |> |> |
|> |> |> |
|as
|> |its
|> |> |> |
|> gateway
|> |blank
|> |> |> |
ISA
|> |> |> |
|Active
|> |> |> |
|> |> |> |
|> |> |> |
|> |message
|the

|DNS
|> try
|ISP

|TCP/IP

|is
|> |it

|no

|hangs

|> /DSDEREGDNS

in
|their
|> |records

|> confers

|> |looked
|> |were

|the
DNS
|CNN.COM
|> |it

|message

|> |Cached
|> |functions.

|the

|Available

|> Snap-In
|> |tab,
|> |this

|available
|> |at

|> |regular

|please
|> |let
And
|> |how

|> screenshots

|your

|root
|> |> |> |> > > > > |
entry
|> in
Lookups.
|> |> |> |> > > > > |
|tab,
|> Server"
|> |> |> |> > > > > |
|> one
|> Public
|can
|> |this,
|> |look
|> |something
|> |> |> |> > > > > |
|> |> |> |> > > > > |
|> |> |> |> > > > > |
|> |> |> |> > > > > |
|> |> |> |> > > > > |

|> |> |> |
|> |> |> |
|> |> |> |

|> |> |
|> |> |
|> |> |

|> |
|> |
|> |

Jeff Smyrski

SRX030918603293 - That was my case number for this patch, I tried it...but
an interesting thing happed this morning...First, last Thursday I was able
to get the Forwarders to work correctly, and removed the extra DNS setting
for the ISP...but also the NTP (w32time) protocol was not working properly
on the Time Server to go and get time...and I also found that several of my
clients were using various servers to get their time, some of them the Time
server, others were the other Domain Controller who was going out and
getting time (somehow) but after posting a Kerberos error I received on this
machine after a totally clean install, the tech suspected that the machine
was not matching for time, because I could not even get to the SYSVOL as the
admin, which is where the policies are...etc etc.

That was Friday night...this morning, I rebooted the machine, logged in, and
everything was fine...weird! I can only think that because time was wacked
out on the network, it took the weekend to reset everyone...or...perhaps
there were old DNS entries that needed to expire and reregister which might
have taken place over the weekend...

I have not reapplied the hotfix since I rebuilt the machine...so far all I
have done is Windows Update and Backup Software.

Thanks
Jeff Smyrski

Joe Wu said:
> [...]

|> <[email protected]>
|> <[email protected]>
|> |Subject: Re: Conditional Forwarding Not Available
|> |Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 16:26:21 -0400
|> |Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns
|> |
|> |Well, Before trying these steps, the forwarders began to work. I am not
|> |really sure, why, but I did change the Gateway to be the firewall,
|although
|> |this did not seem to matter, last night.
|> |
|> |This morning, I was able to perform a NSLOOKUP using the local DNS
|server,
|> |and it forwarded the request as expected.
|> |
|> |I then removed the ISP's DNS entries in the Proxy's NIC that points to
|the
|> |firewall. So that the only entry that remains is my internal DNS server
|> |
|> |Everything seems to be working fine now, and the Netlogon 5774 error at
|the
|> |Proxy has not shown up in 7 hours...so this is good.
|> |
|> |HOWEVER - On my new XP machines I am still getting the following errors
|of
|> |which I thought might be solved with this DNS error, as if it can't
find
|> |the server, the path does exist, but it seems to be related the the
Proxy
|> |Client that is installed on the machine. By the way I posted on the
|> |ISA.Configuration board 3 days ago and nobody has replied...I thought as
|> |technet subscriber, I am guaranteed a response. Thanks.
|> |
|> |Jeff Smyrski
|> |
|> | Event Type: Error
|> |Event Source: Userenv
|> |Event Category: None
|> |Event ID: 1058
|> |Date: 10/2/2003
|> |Time: 10:20:07 AM
|> |User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
|> |Computer: STATION_120
|> |Windows cannot access the file gpt.ini for GPO
|>
||CN={31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9},CN=Policies,CN=System,DC=BANKOFU
|> |CA,DC=COM. The file must be present at the location
|>
||<\\BANKOFUTICA.COM\sysvol\BANKOFUTICA.COM\Policies\{31B2F340-016D-11D2-945
|> -
|> |00C04FB984F9}\gpt.ini>. (The network path was not found. ). Group Policy
|> |processing aborted.
|> |
|> |
|> |
|> |
|> |
|> |

|User

|then
|DNS.

|the

|> |servers:

|so
|> |rights.

|it,
|> |so
|> |reasons.
|> |> |
|not
|for
|> |> |
|name
|> |localhost
|> |> |
IP
|> of
|> of
|> |> |
|> |does
|> |> |
|the
|> |> |
|> |> |
|> |> |

|> |server,
|> (ISP
|> |DNS
|> set

|go

|get

|newsreader
|> |so

|soon
|> |be
|> |like
|> |> |> |
|(As
|all
|> |the
|> |servers.
|ISP
|> |and
|> |> |> |
Proxy
|> |for
|> |> |> |
|> |> |> |
|> |> |> |
|> |> |> |
|> |> |> |

|> |> |> |
|> the
|> |> |> |
|> |> |> |
|as
|> |its
|> |> |> |
|> gateway
|> |blank
|> |> |> |
ISA
|> |> |> |
|Active
|> |> |> |
|> |> |> |
|> |> |> |
|> |message
|the

|DNS
|> try
|ISP

|TCP/IP

|is
|> |it

|no

|hangs

|> /DSDEREGDNS

in
|their
|> |records

|> confers

|> |looked
|> |were

|the
DNS
|CNN.COM
|> |it

|message

|> |Cached
|> |functions.

|the

|Available

|> Snap-In
|> |tab,
|> |this

|available
|> |at

|> |regular

|please
|> |let
And
|> |how

|> screenshots

|your

|root
|> |> |> |> > > > > |
entry
|> in
Lookups.
|> |> |> |> > > > > |
|tab,
|> Server"
|> |> |> |> > > > > |
|> one
|> Public
|can
|> |this,
|> |look
|> |something
|> |> |> |> > > > > |
|> |> |> |> > > > > |
|> |> |> |> > > > > |
|> |> |> |> > > > > |
|> |> |> |> > > > > |

|> |> |> |
|> |> |> |
|> |> |> |

|> |> |
|> |> |
|> |> |

|> |
|> |
|> |

Joe Wu [MSFT]

Dear Jeff,

Thank you for your update. Based on my understanding, the DNS forward issue
came back. Am I correct?

Yes, let's resolve the security and w32time issues first to make the
environment cleaner. If you need me to monitor that thread, please feel
free to let me know which news group you have posted that question.

If the DNS problem still occurs, please check the steps in my previous
post. For your reference, I have pasted them below:

-------------------------------------
> [...]

|> ====================================================
|> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
|rights.
|>
|> --------------------
|> |From: "Jeff Smyrski" <[email protected]>
|> <dhuumP#[email protected]>
|> <[email protected]>
|> <[email protected]>
|> <[email protected]>
|> <[email protected]>
|> <[email protected]>
|> <[email protected]>
|> <[email protected]>
|> <[email protected]>
|> <[email protected]>
|> <[email protected]>
|> |Subject: Re: Conditional Forwarding Not Available
|> |Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 12:59:46 -0400
|> |Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns
|> |
|> |I looked at this article, too 314494, but there is no EnableDFS in the
|> |
|> |I added the value and left its setting at 0
|> |This did not matter
|> |
|> |Looking at the error it seems that it is related to
|> |\\DOMAINNAME.COM\SYSVOL\domainname.com...etc...etc
|> |
|> |The folder exists, but if I attempt to browse to it from the machine
|> |generating the error, I either get file can not be found, or a
|permissions
|> |error if I just try to browse to the SYSVOL folder, all the while doing
|> this
|> |as admin.
|> |
|> |On the other hand, if I do the same thing from my workstation, as me, a
|> |member of admins, I can get to the file no prob. It almost seems that
|even
|> |though I am logging into the domain, I am not getting the permissions to
|do
|> |anything on it...
|> |
|> |Currently I am reinstalling XP from scratch using the restore CD for
this
|> |machine, but not the HP Restore Plus feature, I will just install XP
|myself
|> |instead of letting HPs cd do it.
|> |
|> |Related to the SYSVOL if I look a the properties of the folder there is
|> |DFS tab, but for both domain controllers the Status for active says NO
|from
|> |this machine, and checking the status says unreachable. But again if I
|do
|> |it from my XP workstation as me, I get the Backup DC as active and both
|> |check out okay.
|> |
|> |Any ideas...
|> |
|> |Jeff Smyrski
|> |
|> |

|> |Regarding
|> problem.
|> article

|1058"

|you

|> do

|so
|> |rights.

|> |> |
|not
|> |although
|> |> |
|> |server,
|> |> |
|> |the
|server
|> |> |
|at
|> |the
|> |> |
|errors
|> |of
|> find
|> Proxy
|as
|> |> |
|> |> |

|||CN={31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9},CN=Policies,CN=System,DC=BANKOF
|> |>

|||<\\BANKOFUTICA.COM\sysvol\BANKOFUTICA.COM\Policies\{31B2F340-016D-11D2-94
5
|Policy
|> |> |
|> |> |