  1. What is the difference between Concordance and Index? I am creating a manual
    and want to list the pages certain words appear.

    Lisa B

    Legallisa - switching from WordPerfect, Nov 10, 2008

  2. Legallisa - switching from WordPerfect

    CyberTaz Guest

    A concordance file is a table (usually 2 columns) in which you enter the
    terms to be marked for inclusion in the index of another document. See the
    information offered here for methods of generating an index in Word:

    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HP051892831033.aspx

    Tempered by the additional insights & methods found here:

    http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/Createindex.htm

    I'd suggest that if you do use a concordance file to generate all or part of
    your index entries it should be one of the very last things you do. IMHO,
    repeatedly updating an index based wholly or in part on a concordance file
    can have a negative impact on the stability of the document. Once the index
    is built use the manual method to make any required additions or changes.

    HTH |:>)
    Bob Jones
    [MVP] Office:Mac

    On 11/10/08 4:40 AM, in article
    , "Legallisa - switching
    from WordPerfect"

    CyberTaz, Nov 10, 2008

  3. According to Wikipedia, a concordance is an alphabetical list of the
    principal words used in a book or body of work, with their immediate
    contexts.

    An index on the other hand is an alphabetical list of the principal words
    used in a book with the numbers of the pages on which they appear.

    In Word terminology, a concordance file is a file containing a list of the
    words that are to appear in an index that Word uses to create and index.

    See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/Createindex.htm
    --
    Hope this helps.

    services on a paid consulting basis.

    Doug Robbins - Word MVP

    "Legallisa - switching from WordPerfect"
    <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Doug Robbins - Word MVP, Nov 10, 2008