Computer will not boot after installing and running MS Spy Ware

Jessie

I have a Dell Computer (about 2 yrs old) Pentium 4 with
Windows XP Operating System. The tech guy here at work
downloaded the Microsoft spy ware program onto my work
computer and suggested that I do this at home also. I
have had no problems with this program at work. So last
night I downloaded and installed the Microsoft Anti Spy
Ware program on my home computer and then ran it. In the
meantime I downloaded a couple of windows security
updates (as I have been very lax in doing this), during
this time the spy ware program finished and it found six
files (I think) and several registry whatever. I told it
to clean-up, meanwhile the install had started on the
updates. A window popped up asking for my Service Pac 1
Disk (I downloaded this file never had a disk) I thought
this was for the windows update install so I cancelled
out. Anyways, I did not get an error message on the spy
ware clean-up thingy and since I was done with
everything I was doing, I shut down my computer (big
mistake). Went back on later last night to check e-mail
and I cannot boot my system. The Dell screen flashes
then the Windows XP screen comes up for about a minute or
so. My computer clicks then the Dell screen flashes the
Windows XP screen comes up again, computer clicks and
then the whole process starts again. I tried starting in
safe mode and I tried starting with the last know good
configuration, basically the machine started loading
windows and then a blue screen with some white writing
flashes very quickly (so quickly you cannot even read it)
then the whole cycle (Dell screen flashes/Windows XP
screen comes up/machine clicks/Dell screen flashes,
etc..).

I am in school on-line and in the middle of a class cycle
so I need my computer.Help.

Steve Dodson [MSFT]

This sounds like some system files were not copied over when you were doing
the updates. I would call PSS Support so they can assist you in correcting
this. You can find their number at http://support.microsoft.com/

-steve

Steve Dodson [MSFT]
MCSE, CISSP
PSS Security

originated.

Jessie

Thanks Steve,

Contacting Microsoft was an excellent suggestion,
technical support helped me repair my operating system at
no charge and I did not lose any data.

Again, Thank you very much for your response.

Jessie

From: "Jessie" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Jessie" <[email protected]>
Subject: Computer will not boot after installing and running MS Spy Ware
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 07:07:42 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.private.security.spyware.onlinecommunity

[...]

.

sizzling

It's to bad Jessie didn't post what steps the tech walked
him through to fix this reboot problem since he states
that it was done without charge. I'm having the same
issue and called the number (1-866-727-2338) at the link
that was given to Jessie and was told that since this is
a beta tech support would cost me $35.

I download their software, my computer no longer works
and now I'm suppose to pay $35 and maybe they'll be able
to fix it. Microsoft sticking to their reputation -
ripoff the consumer.

From: "Jessie" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Jessie" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 07:07:42 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.private.security.spyware.onlinecommunity

[...]

Bill Sanderson

I think the most likely fix was a repair install, which is possible with
some installation media, and not with others--depends on what your OEM
distributes, as I understand it.

You might call the number back, and try to refer to your issue as a problem
which occurred as you attempted to remove spyware.

Free support is available for issues relating to virus infections and
removal, and for issues relating to Security-related patches. Whether
spyware is in the same class as viruses is a judgement call. A number of
folks have mentioned receiving help from PSS for these issues, though.
--
FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.txt

From: "Jessie" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Jessie" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 07:07:42 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.private.security.spyware.onlinecommunity

[...]

Sizzling,

It was a repair install. I have a Dell and it came with
a reinstallation disk. Microsost walked me through it.
Basically, I hit f12 and choose to boot my computer from
the disk. I then had a chose to do an install (there was
a repair option but the tech did not have me choose that
until the next screen. On the next screen I had a repair
option which I chose and then the install went through.

I am sorry I am not more technical (I am not very
computer literate), the Microsoft tech walked me through
everything.

FYI They were going to charge me at first but I explained
that I was not sure if the problem had to do with the spy
ware or updates.

Hope this helps.

Jessie
[...]

Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms
specified at

originated.
From: "Jessie" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Jessie" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 07:07:42 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.private.security.spyware.onlinecommunity

[...]

Load the Dell Restore Disk then restart. You should be
prompted to repair or reinstall windows. If you don't have
the disk then load the windows XP disk and reboot you will
get the same prompt.

Good Luck,

Bill Sanderson

That's a good description of the process, Jessie--thanks!
--

Jessie said:
[...]

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all
message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from
which they
originated.
From: "Jessie" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Jessie" <[email protected]>
Subject: Computer will not boot after installing and
running MS Spy Ware
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 07:07:42 -0800
Newsgroups:
microsoft.private.security.spyware.onlinecommunity

[...]

ChriRobe

My two cents.
PLAN Before any evolution...
Don't make changes to essential systems (PC)
during a mission-critital period (Term Paper Due)

quit the virtual school and go to a real school

simple, right

and microsoft not always making better software than the
3rd party, this is a good illustration of my point