Computer slows down a lot when reading discs

Reaction score
Hey guys I built my own computer last christmas and I have just come across a problem that appears to be even worse since then.
The problem I am having is that for example, today i was trying to install starcraft 2 and it reads the disc okay, starts the installation but then it makes my computer sooo slow meaning that I cant do anything at all, it even slowed it down so much that it ended up crashing entirely. When i cancelled the installation in task manager my computer instantly came back to normally and back to speed. Could it be because the optical drive i bought was very cheap when i bought it? I didnt think that a good one was neccessary but im not sure whether i infact need a new one or is it a different problem?

My computer is fairly decent as it was built for gaming and it has 4gb ram, 2.8ghz intel i5 etc, so im not sure why it does this.

Thanks for the help guys. :) merry christmas!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You're right, most obvious contender is the optical drive, get a new SATA DVDRW, take the old one out and fit the new one and see if it cures the problem, will cost you around £25. If it turns out the current optical drive is ok, never hurts to have two optical drives anyway, for ease of copying disks.

Reaction score
Ahhh okay thanks a lot i will do, my fault really as i really do get an optical drive on the cheap aha, thanks for the info. :)

Ask a Question