Computer seems to do "updates" every 10 to 15 minutes

G

Hi. My computer seems to do an update every 10 to 15 minutes, freezing up (sometimes showing the hourglass, depending on what application I'm in at the current time) for about 5 seconds. I have tried just about everything. Cleared out the Task Log, deleted all spyware, deleted Kazaa, cleared out unnecessary files, virus scanned, cleaned out my prefetch folder, and startup only has what's necessary for the computer to run. I've looked at the task manager; it has about 25 things listed, most not active, but I'm not sure what to do with that. This happens no matter what application I'm in, and when all others are closed. Any ideas? Thanks.

R

roger

Hi Frustrated,

Hi. My computer seems to do an update every 10 to 15 minutes, freezing up (sometimes showing the hourglass, depending on what application I'm in at the current time) for about 5 seconds. I have tried just about everything. Cleared out the Task Log, deleted all spyware, deleted Kazaa, cleared out unnecessary files, virus scanned, cleaned out my prefetch folder, and startup only has what's necessary for the computer to run. I've looked at the task manager; it has about 25 things listed, most not active, but I'm not sure what to do with that. This happens no matter what application I'm in, and when all others are closed. Any ideas? Thanks.

Check your AV settings, it may be updating itself continuously.

Good luck

F

frodo

keep task manager running, and when you notice the slow down quickly
switch to it and see what process is using all the cpu time.

Ask a Question