Computer Name

G

Hi

I'm using System Cloning in XPe image. System Cloning automatically generates a random computer name. We use one image for all diskless clients. With Remote Boot Manager, we keep only one image on server and transfer the image to each client at boot time. However, what I would like to do is to specify computer name for each computer. For example: computer1, computer2...

Because some of our applications are based on the computer name instead of IP address, I wonder if there is a way to set the computer name

Thanks

Bin

R

Robert

Hi Bin,

It sounds like in your situation you are going to have
to script this process out. I would right a script to do
this on first boot.

Robert
-----Original Message-----
Hi,

I'm using System Cloning in XPe image. System Cloning
automatically generates a random computer name. We use one
image for all diskless clients. With Remote Boot Manager,
we keep only one image on server and transfer the image to
each client at boot time. However, what I would like to do
is to specify computer name for each computer. For example:
computer1, computer2...
Because some of our applications are based on the computer
name instead of IP address, I wonder if there is a way to
set the computer name.

G

Hi Robert

Thank you for your reply. Do you mean you are going to write a script to do this? ("I would right a script to do this"

Yes, I guess maybe this is the only way to do so. I've tried DHCP option "012 Host Name", but it seems Microsoft doesn't support DHCP option 12 in its DHCP Server. Do you know if Microsoft DHCP Server supports option 12? Currently, I'm using Windows 2000 Server on server machine. Anyway, I guess script would be the best solution in my situation. If we use option 12, we have to specify each MAC address in DHCP Server. I'm just curious if Microsoft supports it or not

Thanks

Bin

G

Hi

I have a question about Domain Name. We're working as one Domain Name for one project. If we'd like to use one image for different projects, that is, different Domain Names, is there any way to set the Domain Name on a same image? Is that same as Host Name that we have to write a script or batch file

Thanks

Bin

Ask a Question