Computer locks up at times

G

Hi All-

I am hoping someone here can be of assistance with this VERY annoying occurance on my computer. At seemingly random (but especially when running any music programs like Winamp) times, the computer will simply freeze. I have to restart the computer via the Restart button as everything locks up. I am using an Athlon 1800 MHz chip in a KT-4 Ultra mobo, using WinXP with 1G of RAM and 120G RAID drive. The only thing I can find in the Event Viewer that MAY point to the problem is this:

Windows saved user ATHENA\Twin Roses Designs registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

Unfortuntately, I am not sure which "service" this refers to, nor even where to start looking for a list of services that would be running as a user account. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Garry

G

I have exactly the same problem but, unlike Garry, am not knowledgeable to think of a possible cause. I agree it is very annoying and, as it continues and resestting by the reset button is ultimately going to harm the system I am desperate for some help. I took the machine in to my local repair shop - very good people - but they were unable to find a fault. Ultimately it was thought the mother board had failed and another has been installed. This did not cure the fault - occuring about twice a day on average - and then I had the hard drive reformatted. Even during re-installation of a number of programmes and since, the problem still recurs two or three times on a busy day. Where on earth do I go from here? Any suggstions or other sufferes other than Garry and me?
Derek Bartley

J

jmommc

Mine has been doing it every since I downloaded the
critical update July 2nd-ADOB.STREAM KB870669. Freezing,
crashing, restarting,tons of critical errors. I'm afraid
it's gonna fry mine too.
-----Original Message-----
I have exactly the same problem but, unlike Garry, am not
knowledgeable to think of a possible cause. I agree it is
very annoying and, as it continues and resestting by the
reset button is ultimately going to harm the system I am
desperate for some help. I took the machine in to my local
repair shop - very good people - but they were unable to
find a fault. Ultimately it was thought the mother board
had failed and another has been installed. This did not
cure the fault - occuring about twice a day on average -
and then I had the hard drive reformatted. Even during re-
installation of a number of programmes and since, the
problem still recurs two or three times on a busy day.
Where on earth do I go from here? Any suggstions or other
sufferes other than Garry and me?
Derek Bartley
VERY annoying occurance on my computer. At seemingly
random (but especially when running any music programs
like Winamp) times, the computer will simply freeze. I
have to restart the computer via the Restart button as
everything locks up. I am using an Athlon 1800 MHz chip
in a KT-4 Ultra mobo, using WinXP with 1G of RAM and 120G
RAID drive. The only thing I can find in the Event Viewer
that MAY point to the problem is this:while an application or service was still using the
registry during log off. The memory used by the user's
registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded
when it is no longer in use.account, try configuring the services to run in either the
LocalService or NetworkService account.refers to, nor even where to start looking for a list of
services that would be running as a user account. Any
ideas?

G

Hi guys -

I posted to another newsgroup about this problem, and was given a response back that may be of help to you.

I was pointed to this URL of Microsoft's from which you can download a memory testing program. http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

I did and ran it and it came up with literally thousands of errors in my RAM. That didn't go over well with me, because RAM is supposed to be guaranteed for its entire lifetime, and my computer is just over one year old. BUT, further down in the documentation for the above test is a suggestion to unseat, gently clean, and then reseat your RAM sticks as this seems to clear up the problems about 30% of the time. I did that this morning, cleaned out the computer while I was at it, plugged everything back in and BINGO PRESTO, no freeze ups or errors on the test.

It may work for you, it may not, but give it a try.

Garry

G

Thanks for the info. I'll see where it takes me. Hope your problem is now solved!
Derek

Ask a Question