Computer Associates sells their customer e-mail list to Tiger Direct

Vanguard

Just today I received a spam e-mail from Tiger Direct. I've never
bought anything from Tiger Direct nor have I ever divulged my e-mail
address to them. I had downloaded the CA eTrust EzAntivirus program and
probably registered with them to get the confirmation e-mail to get the
registration key to complete the installation of their anti-virus
program. Unfortunately I must've had a lapse in trust and actually
trusted CA with my real e-mail address (actually it was for an old
freebie Yahoo Mail account that I rarely look at anymore). The spam has
an opt-out e-mail address link at the bottom but it doesn't work: a few
minutes later, my mail server (Yahoo, since I was replying using that
account where the spam got received) sent an NDR (non-delivery report)
about a permanent error; i.e., the opt-out e-mail address was invalid
(user unknown).

So I got the anti-virus download (the 1-year free full-version use that
they offer) and they sold off my e-mail address to Tiger. The
146.82.220.47 IP address in the last prepended Received header is for
Global Processing (glbx.net) yet the Message-ID shows "flonetwork.com"
in the domain portion. Since I haven't before dealt with Tiger Direct,
I don't know which ISP or e-mail provider they use. If doesn't look
like a phish mail because the links (from the HTML source code) go to
Tiger's web site. Note that the 216.73.90.221 IP address reported in
the NDR (for where my unsubscribe e-mail tried to send) is owned by
DoubleClick. So CA sold off my e-mail address to Tiger Direct who uses
the marketing scum of DoubleClick for their unsubscribes.

--- Copy of spam e-mail (my comments enclosed in braces) ---

Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 08:44:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Computer Associates & TigerDirect"
<[email protected]>
To: {myYahooEmailAddrs}
Subject: Your Computer Associates Security Update
{Wrong. It is NOT a security update. It's a spam!}

Our records indicate you have previously downloaded Computer
Associates' Anti-Virus software. ...
{Only if CA told Tiger, and gave them my e-mail address.}

{Here comes the spam.}
.... It's called Pest Patrol. (Click below to get a 30 Day FREE Trial.)
http://www.tigerdirect.com/email/pestpatrol.asp?SRCCODE=WEM903C
.... Try out the FREE 30 Day Trial of Pest Patrol. Click
below and tell us where to ship your FREE Trial.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/email/pestpatrol.asp?SRCCODE=WEM903C
PERMISSION SETTINGS
Our records indicate we have your permission to send email to the
following address:
{myYahooEmailAddrs}
{No, I *never* gave Tiger any permission to send their spam to me, and I
didn't expect CA to sell off my e-mail address. BASTARDS!}

If you wish to UNSUBSCRIBE send a blank email to
(e-mail address removed)
{Which won't work because DoubleClick's mail server doesn't recognize
that username. Yeah, big surprise ... not!)

--- End of spam e-mail ---

--- Copy of NDR returned from unsubscribe request ---

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at yahoo.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following
addresses.

<[email protected]>:
216.73.90.221 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 <[email protected]>: Recipient address
rejected: User unknown in local recipient table
Giving up on 216.73.90.221.

--- End of NDR ---

Alas, the EzAntivirus product (evolved from their Inoculate) is a good
AV program but I won't be promoting their product anymore as a choice
amongst many when someone asks which AV program to use. I don't promote
spammers. Looks like I'll be uninstalling their software since I also
don't use spammer products. So much for the 1-year free use. Yes, I
realize that CA is a software publisher instead of a software developer
but I expected more professionalism from them. The one time I forget to
read a site's privacy policy (when they have one) and I missed this:
"For certain programs, we may make your information available to our
business partners, for marketing and other purposes which we believe may
be beneficial to you." So CA *will* sell off your e-mail address!
Looks like I'm back to using a unique e-mail alias (Sneakemail) for each
software vendor. Learn and burn.

Jack

Vanguard said:
they offer) and they sold off my e-mail address to Tiger. The
146.82.220.47 IP address in the last prepended Received header is for
Global Processing (glbx.net) yet the Message-ID shows
"flonetwork.com" in the domain portion.

Point of detail: GBLX is Global Crossing, not Global Processing.
Yes, I realize that CA is a software publisher instead of a software
developer but I expected more professionalism from them.

Didn't they used to be a big computer consultancy? They've morphed, but
I haven't been following the twists in their destiny.
The one time I forget to read a site's privacy policy (when they have
one) and I missed this: "For certain programs, we may make your
information available to our business partners, for marketing and
other purposes which we believe may be beneficial to you."

Don't *all* privacy policies say roughly that? Unless they're actually
real, non-commercial FOSS developers or whatever? In fact don't they
usually also say something to the effect of "We may from time to time
change our privacy policy without telling you"?

What's in a Name?

Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 08:44:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Computer Associates & TigerDirect"
<[email protected]>
To: {myYahooEmailAddrs}

<[email protected]>:
[...]

I think they sold mine quite a few times. Since changing to CA I seem to
have more spam than ever. Now that they include a spam filter in their
suite, I wonder if it is a way that they insure that you need to keep
buying the product(spam filter).
-max

Mark G

Vanguard said:
[...]

You seem to be stressing on Tigerdirect, but this came from
Doubleclick/Flonetnetwork/Dartmail. And it is CA who
"uses the marketing scum of doubleclick".

<Quote from CA download page>

Additional Information
We'd like to keep you informed via email about product updates,
upgrades, special offers and pricing. We will not share this
information about you with third parties for their own marketing
purposes. If you do not wish to be contacted via email, please uncheck
the box.

</Quote>

"for their own marketing purposes". They will share info for the
marketing CA products by third parties.

<Quote from CA's privacy policy>

Business Relationships
This website contains links to other websites. CA is not responsible
for the privacy practices or the content of such websites.

Computer Associates uses pixels, or transparent GIF files, to help
manage online advertising. These GIF files are provided by our ad
management partner, DoubleClick. These files enable DoubleClick to
recognize a unique cookie on your Web browser, which in turn enables
us to learn which advertisements bring users to our website. The
cookie was placed by us, or by another advertiser who works with
DoubleClick. With both cookies and Spotlight technology, the
information that we collect and share is anonymous and not personally
identifiable. It does not contain your name, address, telephone
number, or email address. For more information about DoubleClick,
including information about how to opt out of these technologies, go
to http://www.doubleclick.net/us/corporate/privacy.

</Quote>
Doubleclick is the third party.

It seems you gave CA permission to mail you and they use doubleclick
to handle their advertising/mailings. This is spelled out in the
quotes above. It also covers Tigerdirect in the phrase "another
advertiser who works with DoubleClick".

No selling of your address was needed, this is all per your agreement
with CA.

It's seems sleazy, but you apparently agreed

<"I must've had a lapse in trust and actually trusted CA with my real
<e-mail address"

if you did not uncheck the box. That also would make the message fail
the unsolicited test and it would not be spam.

You are now paying the price of the "free" download.

Vanguard

Mark G said:
[...]

If the box was there, I would've unchecked it. I look for those
opt-outs on downloads and purchases. However, it is also possible that
the opt-out was deliberately misleading by using double negatives or
furtive phrasing to make the user think they were opting out when in
fact they were opting in.

Also, when I review the e-mail "options" within my account at CA, all
subscriptions are unselected. That includes unselecting the "Notify me
via email of all special promotions and offers". So, as far as I can
tell and for the options that CA provides, I have been opted out of ALL
their e-mailings.
You are now paying the price of the "free" download.

Doesn't matter that it was free. CA's, ahem, "privacy" policy is
applicable whether you use their trial versions, free-use full version
partner downloads, or buy their products. The ambiguity of "For certain
programs, we may make your information available to our business
partners, ..." means they can spam and divulge for ALL or any of their
programs whether a trial, partner download, or purchased copy. The slur
that I use their "free" download doesn't obviate their practice
regarding a "purchased" copy.

See my reply to Glenn in the alt.spam group at
(Glenn decided to disconnect the
thread by changing the newsgroups list WITHOUT NOTICE to just include
alt.spam). My complaint was instigated by a spam that apparently
originated from TigerDirect (or one of their representatives; i.e.,
DoubleClick) but was really focused on CA's privacy policy (or it's lack
thereof).

Mark G

programs whether a trial, partner download, or purchased copy. The slur
that I use their "free" download doesn't obviate their practice
regarding a "purchased" copy.

No slur intended, just pointing out that it had a price. My use of
"free" came from CA's site, not your post. Agreeing to mail is a very
common requirement for "free" items, especially for companies in bed
with Doubleclick.

Malke

Mark said:
No slur intended, just pointing out that it had a price. My use of
"free" came from CA's site, not your post. Agreeing to mail is a very
common requirement for "free" items, especially for companies in bed
with Doubleclick.

Vanguard - It's interesting that you reported this. I had an email from
a client who was also getting spam mail from Tiger Direct (and it
confused her). I had put EZ-Armor on her computer over a year ago when
the first free-for-1-year deal w/MS came out. At that time there were
boxes to check to opt out of emails, and I remember being favorably
impressed that the default was *unchecked*.

So I do think that some people had their emails sold or,
euphemistically, "shared". Perhaps it happened when the end user (you
or my client) registered or renewed the program and there was an
"opt-in" default that wasn't apparent.

I don't think EZ-AV is the best choice any more, and not only because of
the above.

Cheers,

Malke

DaVinci

Vanguard said:
[...]

CA will do ANYTHING for added revenue. If that means compromising the
privacy of their customers, they won't hesitate. For all their
posturing as a company offering "security" solutions, the bottom line is
the only thing that matters to CA. Don't forget that they still have
the $225 million bill with the SEC to avoid further prosecution on
outstanding fraud charges. This is NOT the most upstanding company in
the market place. Just be informed when you do business with them.

Vanguard

Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 08:44:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Computer Associates & TigerDirect"
<[email protected]>
To: {myYahooEmailAddrs}

<[email protected]>:
[...]

UPDATE:

Well, I received acknowledgement from CA (which were rather garbled
messages because they hadn't a clue on how to record my e-mail in their
support database) that I was e-mailed from them. So the e-mail was
spoofed in the From header to look like it came from TigerDirect when it
actually came from CA, the headers don't show it came for CA, and the
body makes it appear the message came from TigerDirect with only a
couple references to CA. So CA is indeed spoofing their spam to look
like it came from TigerDirect, so I'll tell TigerDirect about this.

Malke

Vanguard said:
UPDATE:

Well, I received acknowledgement from CA (which were rather garbled
messages because they hadn't a clue on how to record my e-mail in
their
support database) that I was e-mailed from them. So the e-mail was
spoofed in the From header to look like it came from TigerDirect when
it actually came from CA, the headers don't show it came for CA, and
the body makes it appear the message came from TigerDirect with only a
couple references to CA. So CA is indeed spoofing their spam to look
like it came from TigerDirect, so I'll tell TigerDirect about this.

Whoa. That's pretty amazing and also amazingly stupid (not a huge
surprise when we consider this is CA we're talking about). It seems
more likely that the two marketing depts. of the two companies made an
agreement which the tech support people don't know about. Whatever the
reason, it just confirms my stance of not recommending CA's products
any more.

Thanks for the update.

Malke

DaVinci

Vanguard said:
UPDATE:

Well, I received acknowledgement from CA (which were rather garbled
messages because they hadn't a clue on how to record my e-mail in their
support database) that I was e-mailed from them. So the e-mail was
spoofed in the From header to look like it came from TigerDirect when it
actually came from CA, the headers don't show it came for CA, and the
body makes it appear the message came from TigerDirect with only a
couple references to CA. So CA is indeed spoofing their spam to look
like it came from TigerDirect, so I'll tell TigerDirect about this.

Thanks for the update. This just reinforces what I indicated in my
previous comments about CA. CA's motto is "Show me the money." They
truly DO NOT care about anything else. It will be interesting to hear
what TigerDirect has to say about this if they respond to you.

idbeholda

.... Aside from their AV being InoculateIT/Inoculan with a new skin, and
their Firewall being ZoneAlarm with a new skin, this gives me more
reason not to trust them.

Top