compress pictures

When I use the "compress picture" feature in ppt 2003, I understand it will reduce each photo to 96dpi, ideal for screen display. 1. Is the original jpg file changed at all when I do this? 2. If I add more pictures to the presentation, can I use the "compress picture" feature again without damaging the photos that were compressed using this feature earlier? Thanks.

Glen Millar

Hi,

Compressing should not affect any original photos as long as they aren't
linked. And if they are linked, I presume compression will leave them alone.
Second, you can run it again after adding new photos. I only once ever saw a
problem with compression where it blew apart a cropped picture, which was in
version 2002. But I never heard of anyone else having [problems.

Glen Millar
Microsoft PPT MVP
http://www.powerpointworkbench.com/
Please tell us your ppt version, and get back to us here
Remove spaces from signature
Posted to news://msnews.microsoft.com

shelleyc said:
When I use the "compress picture" feature in ppt 2003, I understand it
will reduce each photo to 96dpi, ideal for screen display. 1. Is the
original jpg file changed at all when I do this? 2. If I add more pictures
to the presentation, can I use the "compress picture" feature again without
damaging the photos that were compressed using this feature earlier? Thanks.

compression will always screw Y picture quality thats all
is about if Y chane from 300 dpi to 96 what Y get - Y
get les quality pictyre but for internet use there is no
needs to compress for home use go quality for internet Y
need compress because file size
try this if Y now photoshop
Y have to
1.open file in photoshop
2.go save as and chose .tif extension do not have to
change file name
3. go image size under image puldown menu and chack
constrain proportion then change dpi to 96
4. go save as and save it as .jpg if y like change name
if not original file will be overwirghted and y have file
touse as 96 dpi

why Y have to go so long way
every .jpg changed or saved as .jpg againn is loosing
quality thats why Y have to save it as .tiff first
than .jpg as new file again to keep quality as hight as
possible

szycha