compresing a database

Reaction score
I have a ms access database that I have split into a front and backend database.

After the user enters data into the database (stored in the backend), the DB grows to about 50 MB.

The user then runs the application (VB module stored in the front end DB) and the backend database grows to about 1.6 GB. When the database is closed it returns to a size between 50-100 MB. If I try to run VB code contained in the front end database to compress the backend database I get an error stating the DB is not in exclusive mode

The performance of the application slows as the database grows in size which is why I need to compress it.

If the application is stopped part way and the DB is closed and re-opened and then the application is restarted it performs well until the DB grows again.

What I would like to know is how do I close the backend database when it is open and linked to the front end database to allow me to run the compress and then allow me to re-connect it to the front end database

Or does someone have a better suggestion on how to free up the space in the DB without doing a compress?

Ask a Question