compatability problem during upgrade from Home to Pro

G

Hi everybody, I'm posting here because I don't know what else to do. I'm a student in a community collage and I'm training for a career in computer science. Because of my course work I need to run XP Pro on my home computer. I have a HP pavilion 533w with XP Home on it. My problem is that when I have tried to upgrade to XP Pro I keep getting a compatability problem. The install program says that my "NVIDIA AGP filter" is not compatible and stops the install. I contacted HP support and all they said is that they don't recomend upgrading or altering the O.S.. I went to the Invidia web site and couldn't find any thing there to help either(not even an e-mail addy). The staff at my school don't know why I'm having this problem and are to busy to help me out. Is there anyone out there that knows what I need to do? Or where I could find a compatible driver? Any help or advice you can offer would be appreciated. Thank you, Russ.

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Using Device Manager, and setting the "show hidden devices" option from the
View menu, you can see the NVIDIA nForce AGP Bus Filter under
"Non-Plug and Play drivers". The original version that was on my PC
was 4.12.01.0217. The driver file is C:\Windows\System32\drivers\nv_agp.sys.

Downloading and installing the latest Platform/nForce Drivers Unified Driver Package
for Windows XP from the NVIDIA web site (www.nvidia.com), places the new driver
in the C:\nvidia\nforceWinXP\2.00\GART directory, but doesn't update it in the Windows
System32 drivers directory. By manually copying the driver from the Nvidia directory,
you'll get past the compatibility problem. The version of the driver that works is 4.12.01.0278.

SOLVED THE PROBLEM THIS WAY:

Go to 'Windows Update'. After running the program, click 'Windows Catalog'
(lower left hand side). Click on the appropriate categories, IE: XP, Drivers, NVIDIA
(you get the point) and download the 'certified' driver.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| Hi everybody, I'm posting here because I don't know what else to do. I'm a student in a community collage
and I'm training for a career in computer science. Because of my course work I need to run XP Pro on my home
computer. I have a HP pavilion 533w with XP Home on it. My problem is that when I have tried to upgrade to
XP Pro I keep getting a compatability problem. The install program says that my "NVIDIA AGP filter" is not
compatible and stops the install. I contacted HP support and all they said is that they don't recomend
upgrading or altering the O.S.. I went to the Invidia web site and couldn't find any thing there to help
either(not even an e-mail addy). The staff at my school don't know why I'm having this problem and are to
busy to help me out. Is there anyone out there that knows what I need to do? Or where I could find a
compatible driver? Any help or advice you can offer would be appreciated. Thank you, Russ.

Ask a Question