CommonName

Harry Boulton

I found this post and couldn't reply, so i've started a new thread.

I had a similar problem and decided to contact CommonName customer
support. They were very helpful and sent me this e-mail response. It
worked!

Thank you for your email,

Please accept our apologies for the problems you have experienced.

The CommonName software was installed as part of a bundle with
one of CommonName's partners, such as KaZaA, iMesh, Bearshare,
ICQboom,

Grockster.com, or Bikini Desk

When downloading KaZaA, Bearshare and Grockster users are

clearly informed of the CommonName download and are given the

option to opt out of the CommonName installation process.

In the case of Imesh and ICQboom, and Bikini Desk, CommonName is
installed

as a component of the software.

Users are informed about CommonName in the

software licence agreement which is displayed before users

install the software.

When un-installing CommonName the only way to do so correctly is to
use our online uninstaller accessed through

START > PROGRAMS > COMMONNAME > UNINSTALL COMMONNAME

or

START > SETTINGS > CONTROL PANEL > ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS > COMMONNAME

Using any other method may produce unwanted effects such as you
described.

To remedy this you need to run re-install CommonName and then
uninstall using through 'Add-remove' programs.

We understand that it may seem strange to have to reinstall to
uninstall but please bear with us. Re-installing
replaces files that are essential to the uninstall process.

1)Click on the following link to re-install CommonName
http://www.commonname.com/eng/download/cnbabeie4.exe

2)Once you have done this remove CommonName using 'Add-remove'
programs

5) Click OK to Re-boot.

6) This will have completed the uninstall.

If you have any other queries, please do not hesitate to contact
us again. Please include your Windows and Browser version
(e.g. Win98 and IE 5.5) and all previous correspondence with us.

Customer Support
(e-mail address removed)
www.CommonName.Com

From: Kim ([email protected])
Subject: CommonName
Original Format
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
Date: 2002-08-31 08:09:21 PST

I cannot access a secure site at my workplace (using my
password and pin number) using IE version 6! I was told
by my local IT support that it was because of the
file "CommonName." I was told to remove it. I did this,
but still cannot login to my site. I noticed that my
browser is pointing to the website www.commonname.com
every time it tries to access the secure site I'm trying
to get to. This is despite the fact that I've restricted
the commonname site.

I was told that CommonName RESTRICTS the number of URL
characters accepted and that is why I cannot get logged
into my work site.

This is really starting to tick me off. I've had nothing
but trouble with my Windows XP Home Edition!!!!

**I CAN login to my workplace site using Netscape!

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem or does
anyone no what the heck this CommonName thing is?

Please help!

Kim K.

YoKenny

Harry said:
I found this post and couldn't reply, so i've started a new thread.

I had a similar problem and decided to contact CommonName customer
support. They were very helpful and sent me this e-mail response. It
worked!

Would you trust a "spyware" company to tell you the truth? To me it is
like handing a burglar your keys asking him to lock up after he is finished.

See:
http://217.115.153.73/parasite/CommonName.html
http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?lang=en&page=knowledgebase/threats/spybots-commonname

Get Ad-Aware and update to the latest reference file. You should update
and run this at least once a week. Select all items detected and remove.
You may have to reboot and rerun to completely remove the nasties.
Lavasoft/Ad-aware home: http://www.lavasoftusa.com

Get SpyBot Search & Destroy and update to the latest reference
file and remove all red items. You should update and run this at least
once a week.
SpyBot home: http://security.kolla.de/
SpyBot How-To: http://www.tomcoyote.org/SPYBOT/

SpywareBlaster to perevent these nasties installing.