    key [ID] and contain records.

    Thanks for your help!

    , Aug 26, 2008

  2. Michel Walsh Guest

    UPDATE tblNew INNER JOIN tblOld ON tblNew.id = tlbOld.id
    SET tblNew.field1= tblOld.field1

    as example. I assumed tblNew.id = tblOld.id indicates the relation which
    allows to find the tblOld.field1 value which will be used to update
    tblNew.field1, given tblNew.id

    Vanderghast, Access MVP

    Michel Walsh, Aug 26, 2008

    Thanks, Michel! Your assumptions were correct. You make everything
    look easy! I just couldn't figure it out. In any case here's my actual
    info (I always try to simplify my questions with dummy names, etc.).

    UPDATE tblProfiles INNER JOIN tblFGAttributes ON
    tblProfiles.txtProfileID = tblFGAttributes.txtProfileID
    SET tblProfiles.Status = tblFGAttributes.Status

    On Aug 26, 8:17 am, "Michel Walsh"
    <vanderghast@VirusAreFunnierThanSpam> wrote:
    > UPDATE tblNew INNER JOIN tblOld ON tblNew.id = tlbOld.id
    > SET tblNew.field1= tblOld.field1
    >
    > as example. I assumed tblNew.id = tblOld.id indicates the relation which
    > allows to find the tblOld.field1 value which will be used to update
    > tblNew.field1, given tblNew.id
    >
    > Vanderghast, Access MVP
    >
    > <> wrote in message

    > >I need to normalize by moving a field from one table to another. How
    > > can I update the field after I move it? For example, I'm moving
    > > [Field1] from tblOld to tblNew. Both of these tables have the primary
    > > key [ID] and contain records.

    > > Thanks for your help!- Hide quoted text -

    , Aug 26, 2008
  4. Dale Fye Guest

    Are you normallizing, or just splitting the table into multiple one-to-one
    tables?

    If you were truly normalizing, I would think your second table would not
    have the ID field from the first table, because the point of normalizing is
    getting rid of extraneous data.

    --
    Dale

    email address is invalid
    Please reply to newsgroup only.

    Dale Fye, Aug 26, 2008

    Hi, Dale.

    Truly normalizing. I'm moving [Status] from tblFGAttributes to
    tblProfiles so that I can eliminate tblFGAttributes which served the
    purpose of being a "junction" table. No need for it now that I've
    radically normalized the entire structure.