COM3 and COM4 have disappeared from Device Manager list

PaulE

XP Pro, SP2 up to date.

I had COM3 and COM4 in the device manager list. My PCI fax modem uses COM3.

I cannot get my system to query COM3 or COM4 as they do not show up anymore.

They did show up until I tried setting /PCILOCK in Boot.ini to solve another
problem. With that change removed, I can't get the two ports back in Device
Manager and thus cannot get my modem recognized by my fax software.

For some reason, all my RETSORE points seem to be unusable as they all
report that no changes could be made.

Any tips, please and thanks!

Paul

Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)

Getting a modem to be recognised on Com3 does not rely upon the COM port
showing in Device manager.. using the wrong driver stops a modem from
working though..

Re System Restore, it has limitations by design.. it is used far more than
it should be, and the uninformed use it to fix problems that it is not
designed to fix.. for more, look here..

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/systemrestore.mspx--Mike HallMVP - Windows Shell/User"If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have keptit all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland"PaulE" <[email protected]> wrote in messageXP Pro, SP2 up to date.>> I had COM3 and COM4 in the device manager list. My PCI fax modem usesCOM3.>> I cannot get my system to query COM3 or COM4 as they do not show upanymore.>> They did show up until I tried setting /PCILOCK in Boot.ini to solveanother problem. With that change removed, I can't get the two ports backin Device Manager and thus cannot get my modem recognized by my faxsoftware.>> For some reason, all my RETSORE points seem to be unusable as they allreport that no changes could be made.>> Any tips, please and thanks!>> Paul>