{} codes in Word - make them go away!

angelbugsf

Ugh. After installing End Note I started getting the dreaded "{}" things in
my Word 2003 docs. Instead of photos that someone had inserted into a
document they sent me, I get {EMBED PBrush}. Instead of blue hyperlinks, I
get {HYPERLINK whatever}, which I can't click on to access. I don't have
these problems with these documents on my work computer. How can I get my
photos and hyperlinks back? When I revealed the codes I didn't see anything
amiss except that one said the language was French (the documents are from
West Africa).

Jay Freedman

Ugh. After installing End Note I started getting the dreaded "{}" things in
my Word 2003 docs. Instead of photos that someone had inserted into a
document they sent me, I get {EMBED PBrush}. Instead of blue hyperlinks, I
get {HYPERLINK whatever}, which I can't click on to access. I don't have
these problems with these documents on my work computer. How can I get my
photos and hyperlinks back? When I revealed the codes I didn't see anything
amiss except that one said the language was French (the documents are from
West Africa).

Alt+F9

Greg Maxey

Someone once asked me if unleashing sarcasm in a public forum wasn't rude.
My, my.

grammatim

How is it sarcasm?

That's the second time you've called me "rude."

I don't see you answering the question.

And if you try replying "Word Help," then if OP had known that the
brackety things were "field codes," then OP wouldn't have needed to
ask the question.

What are the top five questions here? Couldn't every one of them be
forestalled by a simple instruction book -- I'm not even asking them
to provide a manual like they used to do (sure, let them try to pull
in another $25 for the simple titles, $50 for the comprehensive ones,
from every buyer). Just some basic instructions.

Greg Maxey

<That's the second time you've called me "rude."

No. I am simply returning the stones that you threw and me about six months
ago.

grammatim

Does the MVP program countenance the use of its domain name for the
sending of abusive private emails to participants in public
newsgroups? I would be happy to post Mr. Maxey's email here and my
response -- which he childishly noted he would refuse to read anyway.

Graham Mayor

FWIW the MVPS.ORG domain name has nothing to do with Microsoft's MVP
program. It is a privately run e-mail/web server provided for the use of
current and former MVPs.

While I don't wish to get too embroiled in rights and wrongs of this minor
spat, and am not interested in what has gone on privately by e-mail, I too
read your comment "WHY DOESN'T WORD COME WITH INSTRUCTIONS!!!!!!!!!!" as a
sarcastic riposte to the poster. If you are prone to posting sarcastic
comments in a public forum (and I can recall at least one occasion where you
found it necessary to add a sarcastic comment to one of my posts) then you
should not be too surprised if people respond to that. Whether or not
sarcasm was your intention in this instance is another matter.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

Greg Maxey

Mr. Peter Daniels (aka grammatim),

As for your "which he childishly noted he would refuse to read anyway,"

Once again, I was simply returning another stone that you cast last spring.

"If I see another email from you, I will delete it unopened."

You didn't like the look of one of my posts in this newgroup so you engaged
your pen before your brain and implied that it was discourteous. When I
confronted you privately about your comments you disavowed them. It was in
that private exchange that you stubornly refused acknowlegde your insult and
first made the statement quoted above. Tell us, were you acting childishly
or did you just throw a hissy fit that day?

I doubt that anyone cares, but if you puff up and decide to repeat the
private exchanges here then please be sure to include all of them.

Have a pleasant day.

grammatim

There should _never_ be private email responses to newsgroup postings.

Since you have given your permission to reprint your email, here it
is; I use the version into which my replies have been added.

*****
vide infra
--
Peter T. Daniels (e-mail address removed)