Clock Time Zone Settings

td3k

Everytime I restart Vista Home Premium it has the wrong time on the clock.
The correct time zone is set but the time is about 6 hours earlier than my
actual time zone. I have to manually update to the internet time to get the
clock and time correct again. Has anyone else seen this?

I am running Vista Home Premium on a brand new Mac Pro desktop using
bootcamp and Vista is installed on it's own separate hard drive. The system
clock in the computer is correct so I know that isn't the problem. Would
appreciate any help with this one.

Rick Rogers

Hi,

When Windows loads, it picks up the time from the system BIOS, then shifts
to its own mechanism and periodically synchs with whatever server you
designate. If it is set incorrectly in the BIOS or if the CMOS battery is
dead (and the BIOS can't remember the time because of it), it will always be
wrong when the system initially loads.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Dave R.

td3k said:
Everytime I restart Vista Home Premium it has the wrong time on the
clock. The correct time zone is set but the time is about 6 hours
earlier than my actual time zone. I have to manually update to the
internet time to get the clock and time correct again. Has anyone
else seen this?

I am running Vista Home Premium on a brand new Mac Pro desktop using
bootcamp and Vista is installed on it's own separate hard drive. The
system clock in the computer is correct so I know that isn't the
problem. Would appreciate any help with this one.

You aren't by any chance booting into the Mac OS in between Vista boots,
are you?

If so, that might be what's happening. Linux/Unix based operating
systems expect the hardware clock to be in GMT, but Windows expects the
hardware clock to be in local time. I wouldn't be surprised to find out
that the Mac OS is synchronizing to an NTP server during startup so you
don't see the time wrong in the Mac OS.

Since as far as I know Windows can't be told that the hardware clock is
in GMT, you'll have to tell the Mac OS that the hardware clock is in
local time. I know that's possible in Linux/Unix, so it seems likely
you can do it in Mac OS.

Regards,

Dave

td3k

You are correct; the problem happens whenever I first start up in Vista.
Once the clock is set it will maintain the correct time if I restart and go
back into Windows. But, if I go back into OS X and then back into Vista,
the clock is wrong again in Vista. OS X syncs with an internet time clock
everytime you start the machine; Vista does not and there in lies the
problem.

For anyone interested, I was able to find a solution to the problem; a
simple registry edit. Here it is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SYSTEM
CurrentControlSet
Control
TimeZoneInformation
RealTimeIsUniversal
and set the data value to 1.

This works like a charm. Hope it helps anyone else having the same problem.

nyquilkid

You are correct; the problem happens whenever I first start up inVista.
Once theclockis set it will maintain the correct time if I restart and go
back into Windows. But, if I go back into OS X and then back intoVista,
theclockiswrongagain inVista. OS X syncs with an internet timeclock
everytime you start the machine;Vistadoes not and there in lies the
problem.

For anyone interested, I was able to find a solution to the problem; a
simple registry edit. Here it is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SYSTEM
CurrentControlSet
Control
TimeZoneInformation
RealTimeIsUniversal
and set the data value to 1.

This works like a charm. Hope it helps anyone else having the same problem.

"Dave R." <dwragle at drbsystems dot com> wrote in message

I have done this and most times it works, but every once in a while it
slips back to being off by four hours (on my system at least). Anyone
else seeing this?

Specs:

MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16
2GB memory
MacOS X 10.4.8 / Vista Ultimate dual boot via BootCamp

Thanks!

[8F] The NyQuil Kid

Hugh Wyn Griffith

 OS X syncs with an internet time clock
everytime you start the machine; Vista does not and there in lies the
problem.

AMOI -- do you have the Set Internet Time ON in the properties of
Time/Date? It does not look as if when it checks can be changed -- once
a week? -- but I'm surprised if it does not check on booting up.

Thanks for the Registry Hack.

td3k

As best as I can tell, Windows only updates the date / clock with an
internet time server once a week and I don't see anyway to change that
setting short of hacking the registry. That is unfortunate because it
should really do this at each boot up to make sure your machine is properly
synchronized. I actually can't believe that MS has designed it this way.

Hugh Wyn Griffith

I don't see anyway to change that
setting short of hacking the registry.

That's what I was told over on Compuserve when I recounted the
situation here. I too find it incredible with all that VISTA does on
booting up -- like checking for updates -- that it does not have at
least the option to check time on bootup.