'Cleaning Up' a Column of Data

Reaction score
(apologies if this is in the wrong place, I've squinted around and can't see why it might be...)

I have a column of data, every cell of which needs to be in the form "xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx ..." where x is a digit - i.e. 5-digit numbers with a space between them.

What I've got is a column of a rather large mish-mash of different ways of the data being entered, e.g.

53827/28374/38254
Number 34623 and 2346 are related
12345,12365 & 12642

Hopefully you get the idea.

I've used data to columns to split the column up into cells (but can't get enough different delimiiters to deal with all the different ways the numbers are separated), and have dealt with the 00012345 numbers by just formatting the cells after splitting the column.

What I'd like to be able to do is delete all the text in one fell swoop, them get the numbers back into one column, in the 12345 42837 19233 form I mentioned above - is this too much for Excel to do?

Many thanks, to anyone who spends/wastes their time reading this - I'd better get back to 'work' (which is correcting all of these by hand...).

Reaction score
Sorry for the double post, but I have simplified the problem to this:

What I now could do with is a format that will clear all cells that don't contain numbers - anyone have any ideas? This is the only step in my cunning plan that I can't work out/be convinced is impossibe...

edit: ok, have sorted that one by using an 'if' formula and abusing the fact Excel seems to treat words as enormous numbers - the problem now is reduced to something that will delete empty or cells containing just spaces and shift everything left...

Last edited:

Ask a Question