    Is there a way to clean up my LAYOUT.INI?

    I have used BOOTVIS a few times in the past but it has not helped
    with LAYOUT.INI.

    Alex Coleman, Oct 8, 2005

  2. Alex Coleman

    R. McCarty Guest

    Prefetching is a self-maintaining utility. Many XP Tweakers find that
    purging prefetch is an itch they have to scratch. If you empty it, after
    the appropriate # of reboots it will repopulate the folder. However,
    I've seen cases where the Layout.Ini will not get re-created and the
    benefits of Prefetching are lost. Also, if you manually edit the Layout
    file it may in effect corrupt it. If you're intent on doing it, Backup the
    folder to a alternate location (Just in Case). Then purge it, Run all
    your programs a few times, Reboot 4-5 times and then to force a
    manual rebuild - Click Start, Run and enter the following String.
    rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks [Enter]
    Once the command completes, check the contents of Layout.Ini &
    make sure the data is rebuilt. Run Defrag.

    However, I would just leave the folder alone.

    R. McCarty, Oct 8, 2005

  3. Alex Coleman

    Wesley Vogel Guest

    You can force a boot optimization by doing the following:
    Start | Run | Type: cmd | OK |
    Type:

    defrag c: -boot

    Hit Enter

    Also...

    Disk Layout can be manually forced by...
    Start | Run | Type: cmd | OK |
    Type:

    Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

    Hit Enter

    [[It can take 10 to 15 minutes for idle tasks to complete. Task Manager will
    report processes running, and the disk will likely be active during this
    time.]]

    To see what happened, navigate to >>>
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction
    Value Name: OptimizeComplete
    Value Type: REG_SZ
    Value Data: Yes or N
    If Yes, boot optimization was completed.
    If No there will be an entry in OptimizeError.

    Value Name: OptimizeError
    Value Type: REG_SZ
    Value Data: Insufficient space or Insufficient Resources

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:96E99096CDFCF31E75@204.153.244.170,
    Alex Coleman <> hunted and pecked:

    Wesley Vogel, Oct 8, 2005
  4. Alex Coleman

    Guest

    In microsoft.public.windowsxp.general Wesley Vogel <> wrote:
    > You can force a boot optimization by doing the following:
    > Start | Run | Type: cmd | OK |
    > Type:

    > defrag c: -b

    > Hit Enter

    > Also...

    > Disk Layout can be manually forced by...
    > Start | Run | Type: cmd | OK |
    > Type:

    > Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

    > Hit Enter

    FWIW, doing the ProcessIdleTasks will automatically do the defrag -b
    afterwards, _IF_ you have not disabled boot-defrag via the registry
    (or via a util like CacheMan, TweakUI, or PerfectDisk).

    , Oct 10, 2005
  5. Alex Coleman

    Alex Coleman Guest

    On Sat 08 Oct 2005 14:23:58, R. McCarty wrote:

    > Prefetching is a self-maintaining utility. Many XP Tweakers find
    > that purging prefetch is an itch they have to scratch. If you
    > empty it, after the appropriate # of reboots it will repopulate
    > the folder. However, I've seen cases where the Layout.Ini will
    > not get re-created and the benefits of Prefetching are lost.
    > Also, if you manually edit the Layout file it may in effect
    > corrupt it. If you're intent on doing it, Backup the folder to a
    > alternate location (Just in Case). Then purge it, Run all your
    > programs a few times, Reboot 4-5 times and then to force a
    > manual rebuild - Click Start, Run and enter the following
    > String. rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks [Enter]
    > Once the command completes, check the contents of Layout.Ini &
    > make sure the data is rebuilt. Run Defrag.
    >
    > However, I would just leave the folder alone.

    I do not suggest I mess with the PREFETCH folder. But LAYOUT.INI is
    another matter. It's 7,000 entries seem excessive in my situation.

    I have booted the PC maybe 100 times since some of my LAYOUT.INI
    entries were made obsolete. So I have little hope that it will
    correct itself.

    Is there perhaps a registry setting or some other control which may
    have got tweaked to enable/disable the update of LAYOUT.INI?

    Alex Coleman, Oct 10, 2005
  6. Alex Coleman

    Alex Coleman Guest

    Re: Cleaning LAYOUT.INI - Perfectdisk config causing problems?

    > Alex Coleman <> hunted and pecked:
    >

    >> I run XP Pro/SP1 and the PREFETCH folder contains 137 items.
    >> That seems ok.
    >>
    >> But my LAYOUT.INI file has kept lots of old and out of date
    >> entries. It 7,084 entries each pointing to a file or folder.
    >>
    >> That seems way too many!
    >>
    >> Very many of these entries refer to hard drives which are no
    >> longer in the system and to files which have been moved to
    >> another drive. Also to applications which have been removed or
    >> to folders which no longer exist.
    >>
    >> Is there a way to clean up my LAYOUT.INI?
    >>
    >> I have used BOOTVIS a few times in the past but it has not
    >> helped with LAYOUT.INI.

    "Wesley Vogel" <> wrote

    > You can force a boot optimization by doing the following:
    > Start | Run | Type: cmd | OK |
    > Type:

    -- snip --

    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    Wes, I have been using Perfectdisk and have configured it to use
    Window's boot settings.

    Could this be the reason I am getting this too-large LAYOUT.INI?
    I have found that if I get Perfectdisk to manage how it
    defragments and places the boot files then the result is poorer
    than if I use the Windows settings (which I guess were once based
    on a Bootvis run I did a few weeks ago).

    Alex Coleman, Oct 10, 2005
  7. Alex Coleman

    R. McCarty Guest

    As I said earlier there is nothing stopping you from removing the
    Layout.Ini file. As test case, I just went to my Prefetch folder
    and renamed Layout.Ini Layout.Org (Original), I then invoked
    the ProcessIdleTasks command. I went back to Prefetch and it
    had recreated a "Brand New" Layout.Ini file for me. So if you
    wish you can try this and see if the Layout.Ini that is recreated
    contains the more current data you expect to see. In my own
    test case the size of the resultant file was nearly identical 260 KBs.

    Purging/Cleaning it out is OK - as long as you verify a manual
    rebuild does indeed recreate the Layout.Ini

    R. McCarty, Oct 10, 2005
  8. Alex Coleman

    Wesley Vogel Guest

    Re: Cleaning LAYOUT.INI - Perfectdisk config causing problems?

    These services need to be set to Automatic and running.
    System Event Notification
    Task Scheduler

    First, I do not know anything about PerfectDisk. PerfectDisk may have it's
    own version of Prefetch.

    Disadvantages of Optimize hard disk when idle:
    • Using a third party disk defragmenter. That app should take care of it.
    • Running a laptop with a battery; defragmenting can use up power.

    PerfectDisk should take care of optimizing the hard disk when idle.

    The following info is from various sources and my own experience and relates
    to XP's native defrag utilities.

    Maybe there will be a clue in the following.

    [[Windows XP Professional monitors the files that are used when the computer
    starts and when you start applications. By monitoring these files, Windows
    XP Professional can prefetch them. Prefetching data is the process whereby
    data that is expected to be requested is read ahead into the cache.
    Prefetching boot files and applications decreases the time needed to start
    Windows XP Professional and start applications.

    Prefetching is further improved if the files are located next to each other
    on the outer edge of the disk. Windows XP Professional optimizes the
    location of boot files and applications when the computer is idle. The
    optimization occurs in the background and lasts only a minute or two; you
    might hear the hard disk being accessed when optimization occurs. After the
    initial optimization takes place, subsequent optimization occurs, at most,
    every three days. {Three boots.}

    When you run the Disk Defragmenter tools that are included with Windows XP
    Professional, they can perform any optimization updates that are scheduled
    to take place during the next idle period. The Disk Defragmenter tools do
    not disturb the existing layout of optimized boot files and applications.

    Note
    Computers running Windows XP Home Edition also prefetch and optimize boot
    files and applications.]]
    From…
    Optimizing Startup Times by Using Defragmentation Tools
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkd_tro_uutk.asp

    Prefetch uses DFRGNTFS.EXE and DEFRAG.EXE on NTFS formatted drives. I have
    no idea about FAT32.

    These services need to be set to Automatic and running.
    System Event Notification
    Task Scheduler

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory
    Management\PrefetchParameters

    Value Name: EnablePrefetcher
    Value Type: REG_DWORD
    Value Data: 0, 1, 2 or 3
    Values are:
    0 = disabled
    1 = Application launch prefetching
    2 = Boot prefetching
    3 = Both Application & boot prefetching

    3 seems to be the preferred option. 3 is parameters 1 and 2 ANDed.

    Value Name: RootDirPath (Path to %systemroot%\Prefetch folder)
    Value Type: REG_SZ
    Value Data: Prefetch

    This is what was referring to.

    TweakUI
    [+] General
    Optimize hard disk when idle
    [[This allows Windows to rearrange files on the hard disk when the computer
    is not in use to improve performance. This is a system wide setting which
    requires a restart for changes to take effect.]]

    TweakUI changes this key to 0 or 1...

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OptimalLayout
    Value Name: EnableAutoLayout
    Value Type: REG_DWORD
    Value Data: 0 or 1
    0 = disabled
    1 = enabled

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OptimalLayout
    Value Name: LayoutFilePath
    Value Type: REG_SZ
    Value Data: C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\Layout.ini

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction
    Value Name: Enable
    Value Type: REG_SZ
    Value Data: Y or N

    [[Accepted values for this entry are Y or N. If the entry is set to Y,
    Windows automatically optimizes the file location for boot optimization.
    This optimization occurs automatically if the system is idle for 10 minutes.
    Boot optimization improves startup time by locating startup files in
    contiguous clusters on the volume, reducing the movement of the disk head
    when reading the volume.]]

    Value Data needs to be Y.

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction

    Value Name: LcnEndLocation (disk address, end location on the hard drive)
    Value Type: REG_SZ
    Value Data: Some number (disk address)

    Value Name: LcnStartLocation (disk address, start location on the hard
    drive)
    Value Type: REG_SZ
    Value Data: Some number (disk address)

    Value Name: OptimizeComplete
    Value Type: REG_SZ
    Value Data: Yes or No
    If Yes, boot optimization was completed.
    If No there will be an entry in OptimizeError.

    Value Name: OptimizeError
    Value Type: REG_SZ
    Value Data: Insufficient space or Insufficient Resources

    The above registry Value Names refer to running defrag, defrag c: -boot or
    Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks.

    You can delete the contents of %windir%\Prefetch\layout.ini or delete
    layout.ini altogether and Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks should
    rebuild or recreate the layout.ini. You can do nothing to layout.ini and
    Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks should rebuild it.

    Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks will rebuild the layout.ini file,
    even if it has been deleted from %windir%\Prefetch. Layout.ini is the
    OptimalLayoutFile. [OptimalLayoutFile] is the first line in layout.ini.

    Layout.ini is what keeps track of this...

    [[XP keeps track of files used by every application. After several launches
    of the same application, it has some sense of what files are required.
    Thereafter, it uses an algorithm that says, basically, if a file has not
    been used in the last six launches, it is marked for removal; if a file has
    been used in the last two launches, it's marked for inclusion. Then based
    on these notations, Windows XP determines which files need to be brought
    into the block, and which ones moved out. When this move will take place
    depends on several factors, such as how recently files were moved for this
    application, and when the machine is available? Consistent with the idea
    that disk activity should not interfere with performance, Windows XP won't
    move the application files unless there has been no user-initiated I/O
    activity for 13 minutes. Microsoft presumes this means the user is away
    from the machine. It then begins migrating the files to the optimal place
    on the disk.]]
    From...
    Performance Enhancements in Windows® XP
    http://windowsxp.devx.com/articles/perfen/default.asp

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:96EBC2AAD8C5D31E75@204.153.244.170,

    Wesley Vogel, Oct 10, 2005
  9. Alex Coleman

    Guest

    Re: Cleaning LAYOUT.INI - Perfectdisk config causing problems?

    If you tell Perfect Disk to "manage boot files" itself (the recommended
    setting), what happens is that it sets the reg to PREVENT processidletasks
    from kicking off the "defrag c: -b". [This is the same thing that
    UNChecking TweakUI's "optimize HD when Idle" would do]. PD then does its
    own version of the prefetch optimize whenever you trigger perfect disk to
    defragment - it does not do any "background" or "when idle" defrag in
    place of defrag c: -b. IMHO it does a slightly better job, because it
    moves the bootup files to the front of the disk (the purple files in its
    display), rather than to just any open place as defrag c: -b does. But it
    only does it for the boot partition (the one w/ \windows), and not any
    others (PD 7 at least). So, if you're in the habit of using a diff
    partition for your \Progam Files directory the it won't benefit. You can
    use defrag d: -b for it (d: or whatever its letter).

    What I do:

    manually force the processidletasks to get the layout.ini to rebuild, then
    manually run PD, then (sometimes) do a "defrag f: -b" to get my program
    files partition optimized too.

    I typically only bother to do this once a month, usually a day or two
    after "black tuesday". Or if I do a major application install/remove.

    , Oct 11, 2005
  10. Alex Coleman

    Alex Coleman Guest

    Re: Cleaning LAYOUT.INI - Perfectdisk config causing problems?

    On Tue 11 Oct 2005 02:01:29, wrote:

    > If you tell Perfect Disk to "manage boot files" itself (the
    > recommended setting), what happens is that it sets the reg to
    > PREVENT processidletasks from kicking off the "defrag c: -b".
    > [This is the same thing that UNChecking TweakUI's "optimize HD
    > when Idle" would do]. PD then does its own version of the
    > prefetch optimize whenever you trigger perfect disk to
    > defragment - it does not do any "background" or "when idle"
    > defrag in place of defrag c: -b. IMHO it does a slightly better
    > job, because it moves the bootup files to the front of the disk
    > (the purple files in its display), rather than to just any open
    > place as defrag c: -b does. But it only does it for the boot
    > partition (the one w/ \windows), and not any others (PD 7 at
    > least). So, if you're in the habit of using a diff partition
    > for your \Progam Files directory the it won't benefit. You can
    > use defrag d: -b for it (d: or whatever its letter).
    >
    > What I do:
    >
    > manually force the processidletasks to get the layout.ini to
    > rebuild, then manually run PD, then (sometimes) do a "defrag f:
    > -b" to get my program files partition optimized too.

    Frodo, what you write here might explain something which puzzled me.

    When I tried version 7 it had the two middle options (out of four
    options) for boot optimization grayed out.

    So I uninstalled 7 and went back to 6. Maybe those two options were
    grayed out because my ProcessIdleTasks was set to OFF. Could you
    confirm this happens.

    If I can get all four Perfectdisk options to show then I will go to
    version 7 again.

    Alex Coleman, Oct 11, 2005
  11. Alex Coleman

    In microsoft.public.windowsxp.general Alex Coleman <> wrote:

    > When I tried version 7 it had the two middle options (out of four
    > options) for boot optimization grayed out.
    > So I uninstalled 7 and went back to 6. Maybe those two options were
    > grayed out because my ProcessIdleTasks was set to OFF. Could you
    > confirm this happens.

    my middle two are greyed out too; interesting...
    seems maybe "you can't go back..."
    it's most likely this PD reg setting

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Raxco\PerfectDisk\7.0\PDManageLayoutIni=3

    I didn't experiment further...

    , Oct 11, 2005
  12. Alex Coleman

    Alex Coleman Guest

    On Sat 08 Oct 2005 20:22:34, Wesley Vogel wrote:

    > Disk Layout can be manually forced by...
    > Start | Run | Type: cmd | OK |
    > Type:
    > Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks
    > Hit Enter
    >
    > [[It can take 10 to 15 minutes for idle tasks to complete. Task
    > Manager will report processes running, and the disk will likely
    > be active during this time.]]
    >
    > To see what happened, navigate to >>>
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction
    > Value Name: OptimizeComplete
    > Value Type: REG_SZ
    > Value Data: Yes or N
    > If Yes, boot optimization was completed.
    > If No there will be an entry in OptimizeError.
    >
    > Value Name: OptimizeError
    > Value Type: REG_SZ
    > Value Data: Insufficient space or Insufficient Resources

    Wes, I try CMD and then
    Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction
    shows this:

    OptimizeComplete=N
    OptimizeError="Insufficient Resources".

    How can overcome "Insufficient Resources"? What does it mean by
    "Insufficient Resources"?

    Alex Coleman, Oct 12, 2005
  13. Alex Coleman

    Alex Coleman Guest

    Re: Cleaning LAYOUT.INI - Perfectdisk config causing problems?

    > In microsoft.public.windowsxp.general Alex Coleman
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> When I tried version 7 it had the two middle options (out of
    >> four options) for boot optimization grayed out.
    >> So I uninstalled 7 and went back to 6. Maybe those two options
    >> were grayed out because my ProcessIdleTasks was set to OFF.
    >> Could you confirm this happens.

    On Tue 11 Oct 2005 20:49:05, wrote:

    > my middle two are greyed out too; interesting...
    > seems maybe "you can't go back..."
    > it's most likely this PD reg setting
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Raxco\PerfectDisk\7.0
    > \PDManageLayoutIni=3
    >
    > I didn't experiment further...

    From what you posted earlier in this thread I gather the key is not
    necessarily the one you list above but this one:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
    CurrentVersion\OptimalLayout

    The value of 'EnableAutoLayout' is '1' or '0' depending on what is
    set manually or using either:

    TweakUI > General > Optimize Hard Disk When idle.
    CachemanXP > Tweaks > Defragment Hard Disk When Idle

    I observe that the reg key change gets made without any rebooting.

    Is there any chance you can change your:
    'EnableAutoLayout' from '0' to '1'
    to see if PerfectDisk v7 permits all four boot optimization options
    rather than just two.

    I would appreciate it as it will save me doing a full install of V7
    only to find that I still can't get to those options despite reg key
    settings.

    Thank you.

    Alex Coleman, Oct 12, 2005
  14. Alex Coleman

    David Candy Guest

    Re: Cleaning LAYOUT.INI - Perfectdisk config causing problems?

    Full install, that takes all of 30 seconfs doesn't it?

    David Candy, Oct 12, 2005
  15. Alex Coleman

    Guest

    Re: Cleaning LAYOUT.INI - Perfectdisk config causing problems?

    In microsoft.public.windowsxp.general Alex Coleman <> wrote:
    > Is there any chance you can change your:
    > 'EnableAutoLayout' from '0' to '1'
    > to see if PerfectDisk v7 permits all four boot optimization options
    > rather than just two.
    > I would appreciate it as it will save me doing a full install of V7
    > only to find that I still can't get to those options despite reg key
    > settings.

    it made no diff, middle two options stayed greyed.

    from what I can tell, the middle two options don't really make sense
    anyway. You either enable PD to manage it (which really only PREVENTS xp
    from doing it in the background and messing up what PD did), or you let xp
    do it whenever it wants.

    rememeber, PD moves all the stuff spec'd in layout.ini up to the very
    front of the volume, whereas xp simply moves it into some "large enough"
    free spot. If you let xp run "defrag x: -b", it'll undo what PD did.

    so, this check box (and the ones in TweakUI and Cacheman) simply
    enables/disables the ProcessIdleTasks from kicking off the "defrag x:: -b"
    after it completes the rebuild of layou.ini; it does not stop ProcessIdle
    from updating layout.ini, nor prevent you from manually issuing the
    "defrag x: -b". it maps to this key:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
    OptimalLayout\EnableAutoLayout=0

    [mine has it disabled, =0]

    , Oct 12, 2005
  16. Alex Coleman

    Alex Coleman Guest

    Re: Cleaning LAYOUT.INI - Perfectdisk config causing problems?

    On Wed 12 Oct 2005 15:07:11, David Candy wrote:

    > Full install, that takes all of 30 seconfs doesn't it?

    Hi David. An uninstall and then a manual sweep of the later
    version's registry keys takes a little longer than 30 seconds.

    Sometimes earlier versions will refuse to re-install if a later
    version has been installed and left behind its marker. I had this
    with O&O's defrag software.

    Alex Coleman, Oct 12, 2005
  17. Alex Coleman

    Wesley Vogel Guest

    I believe that frodo has explained how PerfectDisk handles things.

    Sometimes just rebooting will fix Insufficient space or Insufficient
    Resources. I have no idea why. You would think if there were insufficient
    space that would be all she wrote, but that message must include other
    things besides drive space as well.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:96ED82E6BC2031E75@204.153.244.170,

    Wesley Vogel, Oct 13, 2005
  18. Alex Coleman

    null Guest

    wrote:

    > [PerfectDisk does] its own version of the prefetch optimize whenever
    > you trigger perfect disk to defragment - it does not do any
    > "background" or "when idle" defrag in place of defrag c: -b. IMHO it
    > does a slightly better job, because it moves the bootup files to the
    > front of the disk (the purple files in its display), rather than to
    > just any open place as defrag c: -b does. But it only does it for the
    > boot partition (the one w/ \windows), and not any others (PD 7 at
    > least). So, if you're in the habit of using a diff partition for
    > your \Progam Files directory the it won't benefit. You can use defrag
    > d: -b for it (d: or whatever its letter).

    This isn't true. I run PerfectDisk 7, and when I analyze a non-Windows
    drive, I see purple "Boot" files indicated. And I've verified that the
    ones so colored are actually used by programs that run during startup.

    For example, I use Copernic Desktop Search, but I have it configured to
    keep its data on a secondary drive. PerfectDisk (correctly) identifies
    Copernic Desktop Search's huge Keywords.ksb file as being part of the
    boot process. And not surprisingly, this is because the Keywords.ksb
    file is listed in Layout.ini.

    Anything listed in Layout.ini will be flagged as "Boot" by PerfectDisk,
    and will be optimized, just the same as the files on the boot drive.
    But if it's a small file (unlike Keywords.ksb), it won't show up in
    PerfectDisk's display. But PerfectDisk will still process it.

    You can prove this to yourself by identifying a file in Layout.ini that
    is on a non-boot drive, renaming it temporarily, then creating a
    same-named file, and filling it with enough data to make it large in
    size (100-200 MB or so). Then, after re-analyzing the drive in
    PerfectDisk, the file will appear in its display as a "Boot" file,
    because it now occupies enough sectors to warrant being colored as such.
    You can use the View | "Find File" function in PerfectDisk to ensure
    what you see is in fact the correct file.

    And, of course, if you let PerfectDisk defrag that drive, the "Boot"
    file(s) will be moved to the front.

    null, Oct 23, 2005
  19. Alex Coleman

    In microsoft.public.windowsxp.general null <> wrote:
    > wrote:

    >> [PerfectDisk does] its own version of the prefetch optimize whenever
    >> you trigger perfect disk to defragment - it does not do any
    >> "background" or "when idle" defrag in place of defrag c: -b. IMHO it
    >> does a slightly better job, because it moves the bootup files to the
    >> front of the disk (the purple files in its display), rather than to
    >> just any open place as defrag c: -b does. But it only does it for the
    >> boot partition (the one w/ \windows), and not any others (PD 7 at
    >> least). So, if you're in the habit of using a diff partition for
    >> your \Progam Files directory the it won't benefit. You can use defrag
    >> d: -b for it (d: or whatever its letter).

    > This isn't true. I run PerfectDisk 7, and when I analyze a non-Windows
    > drive, I see purple "Boot" files indicated. And I've verified that the
    > ones so colored are actually used by programs that run during startup.

    That is true, but you should also notice that it did not move those purple
    files to the front of the volume, as it does for the windows volume.
    Hence my remark.

    , Oct 24, 2005
  20. Alex Coleman

    R. McCarty Guest

    Re: Cleaning LAYOUT.INI - Perfectdisk config causing problems?

    I use Perfect Disk 7.0 and for the Boot/App defined modules (Purple) to
    be placed at the beginning of the volume you have to change PDisk's
    Tools, Advanced Configuration to "Let Perfect Disk Manage all the
    Layout.Ini Files", which is not the default setting. On my non-XP disk
    partitions all the Purple (Boot) files are placed at the start of the
    volume.

    R. McCarty, Oct 24, 2005