clean install from HD

hey guys. i created an ISO with SP2 slipstreamed but i dont have a CD burner.
i do have two partitions for my HD. can i extract the files to my backup
partition and clean install from there or do i have to use a CD? thanks

bigtiger

Malke

bigtiger said:
hey guys. i created an ISO with SP2 slipstreamed but i dont have a CD
burner. i do have two partitions for my HD. can i extract the files to
my backup partition and clean install from there or do i have to use a
CD? thanks

bigtiger

No. An .iso file is an image that must be burned onto a cd or dvd.

Malke

Malke

bigtiger said:
i realize that ISOs are CD images. what i am asking is can i extract
the contents of the CD image to my backup partition using daemon tools
or winrar and clean install windows with the installation source being
a partition on my hard drive. thanks

bigtiger

I haven't ever used daemon tools, but I'm going to say "no, I don't
think so" because this is an *image* not something you can extract.
However, since 1) I haven't ever tried to do this (lots of cd burners
here); 2) I haven't ever used daemon tools; 3) I've only used winrar to
unrar packed files - I can't give you a definitive answer.

One thing you might try is downloading the network version of SP2
because that *is* a self-extracting executable. I suppose you could
have it self-extract to a folder of your choice and then not go on with
the installation. Then I suppose you could combine it with the XP
installation cd contents on your hard drive. I have no idea if this
would work. Most people who do slipstreaming create cd's, and for that
you need a burner.

Good luck,

Malke

Feng Mao

Hi bigtiger,

Thank you for posting!

As I know, most users to create ISO image with SP2 slipstreamed is to boot
from CD disk and clean install Windows XP.

However, you want to clean install Windows XP SP 2 from hard disk. let us
try the below steps:

Before we continue, I assume that neither partitions are NTFS.

1. Extract the ISO image to the other parition, for example, D:\WinXPSP2.
You can use WinRAR or WinISO to extract it.

2. Start the computer to an Command Prompt with CD-ROM support. If your
computer does not have MS-DOS already installed, or you otherwise cannot
start to an Command Prompt in the Boot menu, click the following article
number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

187632.KB.[LN]: How to create a Windows 98 startup disk that supports FAT32

Then you can use FORMAT command to format the partition that you want to
install Windows XP.

For additional information about creating a partition, click the following
article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
255867.KB.[LN]: How to use the Fdisk tool and the Format tool to partition
or repartition a hard disk

Note The Windows XP Setup program requires at least 383 megabytes (MB) of
free disk space to copy installation files.

3. Start SMARTDrive if it is not already started. To do this, change to the
folder that contains the Smartdrv.exe file, type "smartdrv" (without the
quotation marks), and then press ENTER. If you do not use SMARTDrive, the
Windows XP Setup program may copy files to the hard disk slowly.

4. At the command prompt, type "<drive>:" (without the quotation marks),
and then press ENTER (where <drive> is the drive that contains the Windows
XP Setup Files).

5. Type "cd <winxpsetupparth>\i386" (without the quotation marks), and then
press ENTER. <winxpsetuppath> is the path you extracted Windows XP Setup
Files in Step 1.

6. Type "winnt" (without the quotation marks), and then press ENTER. The
Windows XP Setup program starts.

7. Type the path of the Windows XP installation files, and then press
ENTER. For example, type "D:\winxpsp2\i386" (without the quotation marks).

The Windows Setup program copies files to the hard disk. When the files are
copied, you receive the following message:

The MS-DOS based part of The Setup Program Is complete.

The Setup program will now restart your computer. After your computer
restarts,

the Windows XP Setup program will continue.

If there is a floppy disk in drive A:, remove it now.

Press ENTER to restart your computer and continue Windows XP Setup.

8. Remove any floppy disks from the computer, and then press ENTER. The
computer restarts, and the Windows XP Setup program resumes. Press ENTER to
continue.

9. Follow the steps to select and format a partition where you want to
install Windows XP. If your hard disk contains only one partition, do not
delete it from the list of existing partitions. The Windows XP Setup
program has copied the installation files to this partition. You can
convert a FAT32-formatted partition to the NTFS file system later. Setup
copies the files that the Windows XP Setup program requires, and then the
computer restarts. If you chose to format the drive by using the NTFS file
system, Windows checks the drive for errors, and then it restarts. Windows
XP Setup resumes in Graphical User Interface (GUI) mode.

10. Follow the steps in the Windows Setup Wizard to complete the
installation of Windows XP.

For additional information, click the following article number to view the
article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

307848 How to start the Setup program from MS-DOS in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307848

316941 How to install or upgrade to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316941

310994 How to obtain Windows XP Setup boot disks
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310994

I hope this is helpful.

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,