Check GPO application deployment result

E

el

Hi all,
First of all, I am new to this.

What I had tried was to do was to deploy MS Office Compatibility Pack 2007 to a test W2k machine from SBS 2000. The Pack was installed onto the test machine. I had checked the Add/Remove Software to confirm it's there. That's easy for me to check because the test machine was located next to me. But to deploy the Pack to 100 computers, this is another story. How do I check the deployment was successful on a computer remotely?

TIA
el

B

Bruce Sanderson

1. in AD Users and Computers, right click the computer account for one of the clients, select Manage - this should open Computer Management focused on that computer. Then check the Event logs for the successful installation Events
2. use Remote Desktop Connection and logon to the computer remotely to verify that the software is installed and working.

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders

It is perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.

Hi all,

What I had tried was to do was to deploy MS Office Compatibility Pack 2007 to a test W2k machine from SBS 2000. The Pack was installed onto the test machine. I had checked the Add/Remove Software to confirm it's there. That's easy for me to check because the test machine was located next to me. But to deploy the Pack to 100 computers, this is another story. How do I check the deployment was successful on a computer remotely?

TIA
el

E

el

Thanks for you help. Are there any automatic ways for the deployment process reporting back the result? TIA
1. in AD Users and Computers, right click the computer account for one of the clients, select Manage - this should open Computer Management focused on that computer. Then check the Event logs for the successful installation Events
2. use Remote Desktop Connection and logon to the computer remotely to verify that the software is installed and working.

--

Hi all,

TIA
el

B

Bruce Sanderson

Not that I'm aware of. You would probably need to use something like Microsoft System Management Server (SMS) to get that kind of function.

--

Thanks for you help. Are there any automatic ways for the deployment process reporting back the result? TIA

--

Hi all,

TIA
el

D

dsbrown10

Hi all,

TIA
el

hello.

i would use 3rd party utilities to check things thike this on multiple
machines. personally my choice is HYENA. with this you would be able
to use WMI to check to see if office is installed on all machines.
would take a few minutes and produce a report also.

dave

M

Mark Heitbrink [MVP]

Hi,
Thanks for you help. Are there any automatic ways for the deployment
process reporting back the result? TIA

Only workarounds, like:
- use eventtriggers.exe and create a new trigger, depending on Events
of source Application Management, success is 308 if I remember right
and trigger warinigs in general
- if event happens, a script/batch/vbs can be executed
- You can use BLAT as a commandline email programm, for easier
configuration, you can use BLATGUY, a UI for Blat.

Mark

K

KTC

GPInventory should do what you're looking for, works well on Windows XP and above.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...3d-cac9-4017-af14-8dd686a96540&displaylang=en

Hi all,

TIA
el

Ask a Question