changing the default form does not work

C

console1

hi all

i'm having a hard time in trying to do this:

i have OL 2003 with exchange 2003 (test environment)

I am using the domain/exchange admin account

I open the admin mailbox from ol 2003

I add a folder

I open the folder properties and try to change the form from the default
(IPM.post) to one i created (myform) but i always get a message "you
cannot create an item of this type in this folder"

I have tried to create different form and different folders, but i
always get the same error message

???

thanks

S

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

A message form (IPM.Note.*) can never be the default form for a folder, because messages are sent, not saved in folders.

Maybe you could back up and explain more about what you were hoping to accomplish by changing the default form for a folder to a custom message form.

C

console1

Sue said:
A message form (IPM.Note.*) can never be the default form for a folder, because messages are sent, not saved in folders.

Maybe you could back up and explain more about what you were hoping to accomplish by changing the default form for a folder to a custom message form.

thanks for your answer.

i would like to have all messages arriving into the Inbox folder of a
mailbox to have some check boxes and/or radio buttons that can be used
to categorize them.

i thought i could accomplish this by modifying a Message form so that it
shows some radio buttons and then set that form as the default form for
the Inbox folder?

thank you

S

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Modifying the message form to produce a new published custom form is just the first step. You would also need to change the value of the MessageClass property for each incoming item to the class of your published form, e.g. IPM.Note.MyForm. That can be done with relatively simple VBA code, but it's not clear if VBA is appropriate for your scenario. Is this your own Inbox whose messages you want to process?

Also, consider that if you forward any of these messages to non-Outlook recipients, they could have trouble reading any attachments. That's a side effect of using custom forms.

Ask a Question