    Has anyone run into this?

    thanks,
    nodrog

    Guest, Jun 2, 2006

  2. Hello,
    The only correct way to change out the hal from Standard ACPI to a
    multi-Proc ACPI hal is to reinstall.
    Other methods of changing out the hal can lead to issues with Plug and Play
    and with Power Management, plus potential other affects on the system.
    Only setup correctly detects the hal and correctly sets all the appropriate
    entries in the system, and copies over the correct files for the associated
    hal.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: =?Utf-8?B?bm9kcm9n?= <>
    <Subject: Change HAL with out reinstall
    <Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 07:54:02 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
    <do a repair install and force a manual HAL selection. (per MS KB: 299340)
    <
    <Has anyone run into this?
    <
    <thanks,
    <nodrog
    <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Jun 4, 2006

    turn off the driver signing. (my computer, properties, hardware, driver
    signing and set to ignore…)

    then run this command line exactly:

    rundll32 syssetup,SetupInfObjectInstallAction ACPIAPIC_MP_HAL 128
    %windir%\inf\hal.inf

    it took two reboots

    Guest, Jun 8, 2006

    Andy Guest

    I have a similar problem. We have some PC's that are all identical built by
    ourselves. One of them has Windows 2003 Server on it. When we shutdown, it
    switches off the PC. The others have Windows XP Pro Sp2 on them. They will
    not shut themselves down. They just tell me that "It is Safe to turn off my
    computer".

    I guess that Server 2003 has installed the correct HAL and XP Pro hasn't.
    The HAL seems to be "MPS Uniprocessor PC" but the PC supports ACPI. I guess
    I need "ACPI Uniprocessor PC". Do you have a way to change this?

    Andy

    Andy, Jun 9, 2006

    i'm working on getting my company's images consolidated into 1 or 2
    images that work across multiple platforms. i have one problem:
    single and multi processors. what i am looking for is a batch file
    that i can run on the end of sysprep to detect the cpu hardware and
    copy the correct HAL files to the system32 directory. i know what has
    to be done, i'm just not very good with batch files or scripts. could
    someone please help?

    thanks,

    mike

    , Jun 9, 2006