    can't find a settings window for doing this. Specifically I am interested in
    Adobe Acrobat, MS Word and MS Excel. Presently the default directory for
    all of them is "My Documents". Is this info in an .ini file?

    PSRumbagh, Jun 20, 2009

  2. PSRumbagh

    Tim Meddick Guest

    Many program's use the 'default' Documents folder or 'Personal Folder'
    to save file to.

    As you know, this is your 'My Documents' folder.

    You can change the location of your 'My Documents' folder by
    right-clicking on the 'My Documents' desktop icon and choosing
    'properties'. In the 'My Document' properties, click on the 'Move'
    button to move it's location.

    Also, many other programs have their own method of choosing where you
    would like the default 'store' folder to be for saved files. You will
    have to go through a program's configurable settings to find out which
    do and which don't.

    I believe that Adobe Reader does and it's default is the folder called
    'ebooks' within 'My Documents' but it can be changed using the Reader
    program's settings.

    Also, MS Office programs can have a different folder defined for it's
    default. - You just have to go into 'Tools' > 'Options' and it's
    under 'File Locations' to define the 'Documents' item.

    As I said, for other programs, you will have to investigate their
    options.

    ==

    Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :)

    Tim Meddick, Jun 20, 2009
  3. PSRumbagh

    Lem Guest

    PSRumbagh wrote:
    > How do I change a program's default directory for saving it's data files? I
    > can't find a settings window for doing this. Specifically I am interested in
    > Adobe Acrobat, MS Word and MS Excel. Presently the default directory for
    > all of them is "My Documents". Is this info in an .ini file?

    *.ini files are no longer used in Windows XP. Instead, well-behaved
    applications typically information in the Registry. However, most
    well-behaved applications (including the ones you list) don't require
    you to actually edit the Registry to change options such as the default
    save location. Instead, use the application's GUI.

    Specifically,

    - For Word 2003, Tools > Options > File Locations
    - For Excel 2003, Tools > Options > General

    Adobe apparently doesn't let you set its default save location. See
    http://www.acrobatusers.com/forums/aucbb/viewtopic.php?id=7079
    http://www.acrobatusers.com/forums/aucbb/viewtopic.php?id=950

    In particular, "I find it's unnecessary to change the default file
    directory since the program remembers the last file directory you used
    and defaults to that directory for File Open, File Save, and File Print
    to Adobe PDF in other programs." That's how Acrobat 9 Professional
    works, and I believe Reader 9 as well.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Jun 20, 2009
  4. PSRumbagh

    SPAMCOP User Guest

    I understand this is not exactly what you want but maybe a quick way of
    getting to your download location

    You can alway put a link to the directory you want to save the item in:

    START | RUN | Type 'regedit' & press ENTER

    Navigate to:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\comdlg32\PlacesBar

    If the key doesn't exist then create it

    Create a new string/dword value or alter an existing one. Example:

    REG_SZ: Place0
    Value: C:\MyPathHere

    DWORD: Place1:
    Value: 5 (My Documents)

    Save the value & close the registry editor

    You can only use PLACE0 to PLACE4 as there are only 5 places & the index
    starts at 0 (zero)

    If you want it to be a special folder then you have to use the special
    folder's numeric value in a DWORD value rather than a STRING

    Here's a list of the special folders & their values:

    00 - Desktop
    01 - Internet Explorer
    02 - Start Menu\Programs
    03 - My Computer\Control Panel
    04 - My Computer\Printers
    05 - My Documents
    06 - Favorites
    07 - Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    08 - \Recent
    09 - \SendTo
    0a - \Recycle Bin
    0b - \Start Menu
    0c - logical "My Documents" desktop icon
    0d - My Music
    0e - My Videos
    10 - \Desktop
    11 - My Computer
    12 - My Network Places
    13 - \NetHood
    14 - Windows\Fonts
    15 - Templates
    16 - All Users\Start Menu
    17 - All Users\Programs
    18 - All Users\Start Menu
    19 - All Users\Desktop
    1a - \Application Data
    1b - \PrintHood
    1c - \Local Settings\Application Data
    1d - Nonlocalized startup
    1e - Nonlocalized common startup
    1f - Favorites
    20 - Temporary Internet Files
    21 - Cookies
    22 - History
    23 - All Users\Application Data
    24 - WINDOWS directory
    25 - System32 directory
    26 - Program files
    27 - My Pictures
    28 - USERPROFILE
    29 - system directory (x86)
    2a - C:\Program Files (x86)
    2b - C:\Program Files\Common
    2c - Program Files\Common (x86)
    2d - All Users\Templates
    2e - All Users\Documents
    2f - All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools
    30 - \Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools
    31 - Network and Dial-up Connections
    35 - All Users\My Music
    36 - All Users\My Pictures
    37 - All Users\My Video
    38 - Resource Directory
    39 - Localized Resource Directory
    3a - Links to All Users OEM specific apps
    3b - USERPROFILE\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning

    --
    SPAMCOP User

    SPAMCOP User, Jun 20, 2009