CF.Next only on WM 2003 and up

Jamie Macleod

Hi Ginny,

Do you know if CFv2 will be backward compatible? In other words, can I run
a CFv1 application on CFv2? If it is backward compatible, it would allow
the developer to isolate the CFv2 specific code and compile two version.
Compile CFv1 with out the code and CFv2 with the code. You would still have
only one code base that way. Am I out to lunch on this?

Jamie

Ginny Caughey [MVP]

Hi Jamie,

Definitely not out to lunch. That sounds like a good idea to me too, and I
assume that it is a goal, but I don't think I've heard one way or the other.
I also don't know if CFv1 and CFv2 will be able to run side by side on the
same machine.

www.mobidogs.com

Ginny mentioned the side by side question,

I am also wondering about project and file compatibility issue. Once you
move the project over to the Whitbey version of VS will the project and
associated files still be clean for use in VS 2003 and will we be able to
seamlessly compile the same source in either dev environment.

It might be an interesting feature if Whitbey were able to target a version
of the CF that you wanted to compile against, so that all of the work could
be done in the Whitbey environment and you simple select a version of the
Framework to build for. This also raises the issue of library references
perhaps. However, if the Whitbey environment where sophisticated enough to
allow you to target different versions of the CF the whole problem of
backward compatibility with those millions of devices might become a mute
one. (although there would still be packaging and deployment headaches).

Brian Smith [MSFT]

It is a goal of v2 to run all v1 apps. Hopefully better than the original.

The v1 and v2 runtimes can both be installed and run side-by-side on the
same device. If both versions are installed, applications compiled against
v1 will run by default under the v1 runtime. There will be a configuration
mechanism to specify that a particular v1 application should be promoted to
run use the v2 runtime. However, there is no way to make an application
compiled against the v2 libraries run on v1. This will probably prevent
anyone from making a single app that can run on both versions and make use
of v2 functionality if it was available. But there may be some clever
developers out there who will figure out a way to make it happen.