CE emulator for VB 2005

Paul Ilacqua

I want to write a CE bar Code scanning application with VB 2005. I had a CE
emulator for my 2003 setup now I cannot find one... Any suggestions

Thanks
Paul

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

Item #1: Emulators are built for specific devices. There's no such thing as
a "CE emulator". If your target device is Windows Mobile 5, you can
download SDKs for that from www.microsoft.com/downloads. They have
emulators. If you are targeting something else, get the appropriate SDK for
that and install it; if it has an emulator, it should be available.

Item #2: You're talking about Visual *Studio* 2005, right? Not just the
single-language Visual Basic 2005? Device development support doesn't
appear in the single-language products like Visual C++, Visual C#, or Visual
Basic, only in Visual Studio.

Paul T.

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

By the way, I have VS2005 and the Pocket PC 2003 SE (Second Edition), SDK on
my system and I can target *that* from VS2005, so I don't think this should
be a problem, if you have the right development environment.

Paul T.

"Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" <p space tobey no spam AT no instrument no spam DOT
com> wrote in message news:%[email protected]...

Paul Ilacqua

Paul,
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm using VS 2005. I have plenty of Device
choices and am not having an issue with Windows Mobile 5.0 or 6.0 Pocket PC
2003 etc.
My "Old" VS 2003 had a Windows CE emulator. Most likely a vanilla CE
implementation, but at least it emulates the environment and you could debug
on it.. screen sizes etc.
I have a client that wants a scan application on a Symbol gun with CE for
easier lockdown. I can develop on the gun through active synch but makes it
difficult and time consuming to keep re docking the gun etc.
I have a choice for a CE device as a target but not a CE emulator as in VS
2003. That's my dilemma.

Paul

[...]

It may have had the Standard SDK emulator but the title of that was, at
best, 1/2 right, as there's no such thing as a Standard Windows CE device.
That's gone, finally, so you won't see that again. Microsoft finally
realized that having something called Standard SDK made people think that
developing for that meant that the code would work on CE devices, which
simply was not true. CE devices can have almost any combination of
operating system features and most do not implement the Standard SDK set of
those, either because getting to that level of support requires a higher
cost Windows CE license, or because the devices don't make any sense (they
don't have displays or don't have shells or whatever).

If you have a target Windows CE device, then the SDK *for that device* is
the only SDK that it makes sense to develop against. If the SDK has an
emulator for the device, you can use it. If not, there's no emulator that
makes sense for that device.

I don't quite follow your problem description. The scanner has no means of
connecting to it, other than via the cradle? That's a problem why? With
the emulator, you have to run it on your development PC, so that's tied as
tightly as cradling the real device.

Paul T.

Paul Ilacqua said:
[...]

After build the program runs fine on the device through my normal
wireless connection , but for debugging I either have to build then copy to
device or run in the cradle. Debugging with the device on a cradle is
cumbersome when testing Bar Code scanning. I have to hold the label above
the gun hope to hit the right Bar Code etc. I understand the no vanilla
explanation for CE, there really is no standard CE.
I appreciate your completeness in explaining the CE issue. My preference is
to target Windows Mobile... since it is a bit more standard, but the
customer wants CE.

Paul

DOT com> wrote in message
[...]

You should be able to debug over the network, too, as was possible with
VS.NET 2003, too. Here's a Web page:

http://community.opennetcf.com/articles/cf/archive/2007/08/31/debugging-without-activesync.aspx

Of course, you can do it without the CEDebgSetup program, too (I do it with
my own).

Paul T.