cd wow

Reaction score
see comments taken from daily mirror:​
ONLINE retailer CD-Wow was today told at the High Court it must cough up £41m in damages to British record companies.​
The Hong Kong-based company was ordered to pay the massive sum after breaking a deal to stop selling illegally imported cheap albums in the UK.​

Today’s ruling comes after it was judged in March that the site's owners, Music Trading Online, were "in substantial breach" of a 2004 agreement made with the British Phonographic Industry (BPI).

//'); //]]>

CD-Wow says it will continue to sell cheap CDs and is considering launching an appeal against the ruling.​
This is very bad indeed, here we have a company selling the real deal but still gets fine.​
So it,s ok for ****ing British Phonographic Industry (BPI) to moan about the price.​
What these tosser do not under stand the tax on cd here is a rip off.​
So people have 2 choices here get them cheap for real or used p2p,torrents.​

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Oh boy, this is a tricky one.

michael, who is that uncredited quote above from? If we're going to have cuss words. asterisked out or not, please credit them to somebody. (EDIT: Oh, it seems it's from the Daily Mirror. Sorry. I have hardly read any newspapers, apart from the occasional Guardian, for the last 12 years or so, do they really have cussing in them now? My goodness, I feel so naive sometimes, lol).

Music CD's have actually come down in price, in real terms, over the last ten years. One could argue that CD's were overpriced from the start, I can remember a Vinyl Album selling for £6.00 and the 'new technology' CD version of same album selling for £12.00

Now, the opposite is true. Strange, eh?

Any product, be it an audio CD, movie DVD or Vacum Cleaner, is subject to the tax laws of the country it is sold in.

CD Wow is based in China and they don't charge the same amount of tax as the UK does. When CD WOW sell here, they are actually breaking our tax laws.

So - and I never thought I'd say this - the BPI, in this instance, in my opinion - is correct.

The argument is not against the unfairness of the music industry (that's another argument altogether, lol) it is against our goverment's tax laws.

And to get around that we supposedly have democracy. But you and I know whichever flavour of goverment is in power - and it's becoming increasingly difficult to tell the difference now - they will never change existing tax laws on consumer goods.

To sum up - if you don't like the laws of the country you're living in - then move abroad, maybe to Hong Kong. If you like living in the UK, accept it's terms and conditions. If you don't like those - protest, vote, whatever, you do actually have a free voice here.

Other than that, I can't really say it here, but, well, it really is quite easy to duplicate stuff using a scanner, colour printer and a CDRW, isn't it? ;)

True music fans, like me, will always buy the real deal of something they really want.

The BPI and the RIAA are greedy and their own worst enemies, but that's another debate.

What I'm saying, really, is that you can't hold up prices abroad as the fault of dealers, it's the fault of our goverment.

The price of petrol fuel here and in the USA is another, similar, paralell.

Ask a Question