CD-ROM or DVD-ROM?

J

JB Johnson

I'm pretty sure I may need to replace my CD-ROM drive,..Sony CDU4811. I not long ago replaced my CD-R/RW drive with a Sony CRX220A1. Now, my CD-ROM is making a hiss and or pop sound when playing new audio CDs, which makes it appear to skip. It was installed in Feb, 2000. As a little Christmas gift to myself, I want to replace it. Do I go with a standard CD-ROM drive, or with a DVD drive that also serves as a CD-ROM drive? If the combo is recommended, what brand is recommended? If this is confusing, I apologize<s>.

Windows XP, fully updated, AMD Athlon 700 MHZ, 384 MB RAM. Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1, Driver version

Oh, I used a compressed can of air, and a cd-rom disk cleaner. Also I checked the connections from the sound card to the cd-rom.

Thanks for any input

JB

D

David B.

If you plan on watching DVD movies on your PC, get a DVD, if not, save your money.

--

----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm pretty sure I may need to replace my CD-ROM drive,..Sony CDU4811. I not long ago replaced my CD-R/RW drive with a Sony
CRX220A1. Now, my CD-ROM is making a hiss and or pop sound when playing new audio CDs, which makes it appear to skip. It was
installed in Feb, 2000. As a little Christmas gift to myself, I want to replace it. Do I go with a standard CD-ROM drive, or with
a DVD drive that also serves as a CD-ROM drive? If the combo is recommended, what brand is recommended? If this is confusing, I
apologize<s>.

Windows XP, fully updated, AMD Athlon 700 MHZ, 384 MB RAM. Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1, Driver version

Oh, I used a compressed can of air, and a cd-rom disk cleaner. Also I checked the connections from the sound card to the cd-rom.

Thanks for any input

JB

J

JB Johnson

Although I don't watch DVD movies on the computer, my thought process was for DVD audio recording ability.
Thanks

JB

If you plan on watching DVD movies on your PC, get a DVD, if not, save your money.

--

----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm pretty sure I may need to replace my CD-ROM drive,..Sony CDU4811. I not long ago replaced my CD-R/RW drive with a Sony
CRX220A1. Now, my CD-ROM is making a hiss and or pop sound when playing new audio CDs, which makes it appear to skip. It was
installed in Feb, 2000. As a little Christmas gift to myself, I want to replace it. Do I go with a standard CD-ROM drive, or with
a DVD drive that also serves as a CD-ROM drive? If the combo is recommended, what brand is recommended? If this is confusing, I
apologize<s>.

Thanks for any input

JB

Ask a Question