CD ROM Not Working

G

I am having a problem with my CD ROM drive. It just stopped reading cd's. It still lights up and spins, but other than that does nothing. Any ideas? The brand is Philips CDD4851 CD-R/RW, OS Microsoft XP. Thanks!

G

Yeah that looks like what I'm going to do, take it somewhere and have them fix/replace it...

G

Ok...another question

Being that my CD drive doesn't read ANYTHING...could I just go out and buy a new external CD RW, plug it up and install the software that comes with it on the new one or will I already need a working CD drive in order to install a new one? I hope this makes sense...basically can I just go out and buy a new one

G

no this is a bug caused by either a codec update, or service related problem same thing happened to me having a hell of a time resolving the issue, but a new cd player or recorder is the not the solution. this is a windows software issue, you have a corrupt driver or the error so far as i can determine is theres a bad block in the device. some codecs can corrupt and render useless the xp blocks we need a microsoft tech's help here............

C

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Get an estimate before you have ANY work done. I got my last CD Burner at
52x24x52 for $27.

In this disposible world we now live in it's often cheaper to replace than
repair.

Cari
www.coribright.com

G

WHILE USING A BURNED CD, I GOT ON THE PHONE, AND MY CDROM STOPPED WORKING. NOW THE LITE COMES ON BUT WILL NOT READ CD, THEN LITE JUST GOES OFF. ANY IDEAS HOW TO FIX THE PROBLEM?

S

Shenan Stanley

EMR349 said:
WHILE USING A BURNED CD, I GOT ON THE PHONE, AND MY CDROM STOPPED
WORKING. NOW THE LITE COMES ON BUT WILL NOT READ CD, THEN LITE JUST
GOES OFF. ANY IDEAS HOW TO FIX THE PROBLEM?

First, the SPAM you will start receiving at the given email address is NOT
from Microsoft and you should never open unexpected attachments and
Microsoft never send patches via email. Always MUNGE your email address
when posting to a worldwide distributed newsgroup.

Turn off caps lock.
Reboot.
Turn off caps lock again.
Eject the CD.
Start again.

Ask a Question