CD burner won't write

Reaction score
It was working fine just a few days ago, and now it doesn't write any data. I've uninstalled/reinstalled Nero twice now; the first time it didn't install properly (none of the program files copied over to the HD). I also uninstalled/reinstalled the CD burner. I didn't remove the drivers, so it was just a redetect installation. One thing I noticed is that when I am burning, the red LED never comes on to indicate data being written. Does anyone have any ideas? It's almost like the computer recognizes a CD-ROM instread of a burner.

If it makes any difference, it's a Samsung SW-248F, and I just updated the firmware to R603.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Sorry to say but sounds like the drive's faulty.

It's very common with optical drives unfortunately.

How old is the drive?

Reaction score
I really can't remember; maybe 3 or 4 years old. Maybe older. One thing I didn't mention was that the last time I installed Nero it told me to update the imapi driver, but come to think of it the problem started before that.

I'm going to try to remove the driver files and reinstall with new drivers; if that doesn't work I'm off to Walmart. If anyone has any other suggestions I would appreciate it.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Probably dead ... had my DVDRW die on me a few weeks ago, will still read CDs but not burn or write DVDs ... it was 4years old ... bought a nice new superduper all singing & dancing for under £30.

:D

Ask a Question